410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier" | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

The alarm system is done and working. Lots and lots of setup to do, it keeps telling me a door is open when it is clearly not. Hahaha I am sure it is a setup issue. This system is quite complex. I think there were 62 wires total or some crap like that. I ran modules all through the dash and center console, around the windshield and into Both doors. Very happy that it is all working. I have not tested the auto start today it must first be setup and registered online. This will all happen at the in town shop.

Many little things are done
I drove her out of the shop under her own power yesterday. I then let it cool off and tightened up the headers
She is ready for the trailer!

Very exciting it runs so well and sounds soooo good!! I took some videos

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1362.jpeg

If you guys remember I broke the drivers muth mirror
Glass during install because they sent it with the wrong mount. This 06/07 ranger has a square mount on pass door and round mount in drivers. I had ordered the correct mirror replacement months ago and finally installed. What an awesome company to deal with. I was nervous about this repair but it went well. New glass is glued to the inner mount with the supplied round adhesive pad. Heated glass, power mirror with side markers. I love these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that all the wiring is done
I was finally able to wrap up the under hood wiring, final route and wrap, I removed the 20+ not needed leads from the big square plug and mounted the power distribution box

Under the hood plumbing and wiring almost 100%. I still have a Evap line to deal with more on that later

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_1365.jpeg

On to the emergency brake cables. All new brakes all new cables, for an explorer! Have to be adapted to the ranger. The ranger needs a frame mount. I used bits from a crushed truck to make this happen.
The explorer cables are shorter then ranger and routed completely different then the drums. So first up the old bracket was cleaned and treated for rust. I found an existing hole in the ranger frame was the perfect spot for the bolt and bracket. Cables were run into the new hardware and a simple set of cable Clamps make up for the difference in length. Works awesome!

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

Setup to clear the king shocks and leaf springs best as possible. I will add a spring to hold the cable from bouncing around when the brake is not on

So time to install the front grill. The winch is right in the way. Mounting the winch is fun getting the 4 holes
Lined up perfect and all the hardware right in the correct spot… so instead I removed the header panel! Thought I was super smart… allowed me to install the grill
But I still had to take the top of the winch apart to add the ford oval
I was given blue and black ovals to choose from. The black ones look awesome on here so I went with those

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1384.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg

Now
My nerves are wrecked because it was finally time to test the alarm install. Lucky for me all appears to be working! It should, I spent a lot of time researching every wire before a connection was made. Truck was jacked up and all fasteners were checked for torque. All of them
The upper control arms were torqued at ride height. Wheels got pumped to 32 psi and center caps installed finally 5 lugs on each wheel. Battery was topped off…. Starter still turns! Alarm is talking to the remote, locks and windows work…Ready to drive!!

So I pulled her out of the garage and ran some heat cycles. She doesn’t leak, not a drop of anything. Headers were leaking a bit needed tightened up (not an easy task
But with the right tools it went smoothly)

The exhaust sounds soooooooo good

First drive in 5 years happens today

Nice work. Congrats!:chug:

Thank you

Couple more

Dash is still apart some of the alarm is hanging out because I cannot plug in the last piece until the unit tests good
The coolant gauge needle slipped and she’s dirty from me getting in and out

IF all goes smoothly in the next few days she should be complete ready for alignment and road test then finally delivered! (That is a big”if”, I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but so far so good)

May have noticed my idea for the Lawerence gps Baja antenna I’m looking at mounting options and setting that up before we send her home

Short list includes mounting
Glass, buff and polish, Evap hose plumbing, alarm and camera setup, de bug, align, Lawrence, charge ac, test test and a bunch more, nothing I’m not used to or can’t handle! The HPP trans is smooth thus far

So I hit a snag
I was only able to get the 4wd high range shift and no 4wd lights in the cluster.
Why? Because the 07 4wd control module is can bus… the only way to get 4wd lights with this controller is with the can bus cluster. On this truck I deleted the can bus cluster long ago. We are running a 05 ranger cluster.
So out comes the wiring books
Compare 07 4x4 control module to 05 4x4cm wiring. All wires are the same except for 4
The 07 cm is hooked to the door ajar light and illuminates the “neutral tow” light, plus the two can his wires.
So after half a day of research I cut out the 07 control module and wired in the 05. I ran 3 additional wires to the instrument cluster, 4x4hi light, 4wd low range light, and a vss feed.
Now I have 4wd!
However she is stuck in low range hahahahahahahaha probably just sticky shift motor. I will tackle this today.

Welcome to the world of building customs
Battle on!
Getting closer each day

IMG_1404.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

Comparing 07 to 05 schematics and connectors. The 07 controller up top, the 02-05 one below. Lucky I have a whole
Box of these motorolla 4x4 control modules because I build v8 rangers and do control trac deletes here

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

Out with the old in with the new

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1415.jpeg

Evap line
This truck is using a Holley pcm
That means there is no factory pcm to control the Evap system, the gas tank fuel vapor management.
The factory trucks have a canister purge valve and a canister vent valve, these work together to vent fuel tank vapors into the intake where they can be burned up.
I still need to vent the fuel tank to atmosphere via the charcoal canister and I still need to have a vapor line from tank to engine

So I plumbed around where the canister vent and purge valves used to be

IMG_1326.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

This is the connection between the fuel tank vapor Line and charcoal canister (above the spare tire)
The canister vent valve has been removed

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

Now I have a Metal Evap hose that leads from tank down frame to near the t case, this is where I ran a new line to the 5.0 intake manifold and I added a restriction in the line so it is not a large
Vacuum leak to the fuel tank. The canister purge valve does not exist anymore.

Now the intake will always be pulling a small amount of vapors from the tank while the engine is running. The vapors come from the top of the fuel tank. The other side of the tank vent (fresh air in) travels through the charcoal canister so the tank is always vented and purged

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1416.jpeg

That’s it! That was the last line / all plumbing is done !!!!

I win
The 4wd is working
Phew that was a tricky one
Must use older (02-05) control module switch and shift motor all together! The 07 components do not interchange

Now I have working 2wd shift on the fly 4hi and with truck in neutral and foot on brake you can shift in and out of 4 low

Now because this took a few days to sort out ( mostly checking my wiring and searching for parts) I brought the blue fenders home and I am bolting them on
This was I can fab up the inner fender liners here at the home shop

07 ranger 4wd control module switch and motor removed, 04 Mazda b4000 controller switch and motor installed ;)

IMG_1425.jpeg

IMG_1426.jpeg

IMG_1424.jpeg

IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1428.jpeg

Now to fix the coolant gauge! Already working on that
Welcome to conversions

Sucks about the 4x4 complication, but like seeing the updates. Can't wait to see the truck with fenders on.

On to the emergency brake cables. All new brakes all new cables, for an explorer! Have to be adapted to the ranger. The ranger needs a frame mount. I used bits from a crushed truck to make this happen.
The explorer cables are shorter then ranger and routed completely different then the drums. So first up the old bracket was cleaned and treated for rust. I found an existing hole in the ranger frame was the perfect spot for the bolt and bracket. Cables were run into the new hardware and a simple set of cable Clamps make up for the difference in length. Works awesome!

IMG_1366.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1376.jpeg

Setup to clear the king shocks and leaf springs best as possible. I will add a spring to hold the cable from bouncing around when the brake is not on

Seems like you just endorsed my plans for making emergency brake cables with the Explorer 8.8 swap. Honestly, I hadn't decided between clamping like this or cutting and swedging. Now that I see it, I'm kind of liking the cable clamps for future adjustability and removing slack over time.

I used a turnbuckle to attach the cables together when I did a drum to disc brake swap. It was a easy way to connect the cables, and allows adjustment.

Sneak peek

She’s dusty so please forgive
One side is fit
The color match is fantastic

IMG_1438.jpeg

IMG_1437.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

Hehehehehe she was locked up inside otherwise she would be in those pics I guarantee it

I have done many many little things
She is finally coming out of the shop
Had a few more delays
Fitting the drivers fender was a chore! In order to get the glass to line up properly I had to adjust the door quite a bit. For anyone who has installed glass will know what I’m talking about it is a tedious fit sometimes. I still need to adjust the hood angle about 1/8” otherwise this is as good as it gets

I had to re paint the skid plate, the original spray job we did last year ran.. so I sanded it down and did it again

Now the fenders all lights are in, the skid plate is on, the fog lights are hard wired, the coolant needle is fixed, the wire for the rear camera is run, hood switch for alarm mounted and adjusted, arb pressure switch installed, front and rear diff filled with 85/140 full synth…. Dash is mostly together and now I am setting up the alarm.
When I arm the alarm it rolls the window down and unlocks the doors, plus it tells me a door is open. No biggie this is all easily taken care of with setup I am learning as I go with this thing.

We have had about two weeks of 50 degrees and rain, this weekend much warmer and dry. So I can finally drive her! First thing is another wash, she is dusty!
It has been a battle
I am winning!

If testing and setup goes smoothly we can finally arrange for the truck to go home

Affordable off road slid plate is very nice!! I would recommend this to anyone with a gen ii or 98-11 ranger for sure, not a bad price either

IMG_1448.jpeg

See the runs? Not allowed! Sanded with 1000 grit, cleaned and re sprayed w 3 coats

IMG_1449.jpeg

Sanded

IMG_1450.jpeg

Sanded cleaned and ready

IMG_1467.jpeg

Drivers fender finally fit properly, and there is the dog

IMG_1468.jpeg

Better!
Lots of pics coming in not posting anymore until she’s washed again lol lol

Okay one more
Fender skirts are in the works

IMG_1466.jpeg

AO Skidplate

Bolts to the frame where the factory plastic drip guard used to

IMG_1471.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

I am working on supports for the king reservoirs
Lawrence mount

Working on alarm setup and going to wash the truck today
I am out of abs sheet plastic
This last piece came from Denver 10+ years ago. I love this stuff! Need to re up

More is 60+ miles away so will get some next few days (fender liners)

Truck is now staged for moving to city shop! Finally! About 222 months behind schedule

IMG_1474.jpeg

Only 222 months behind, sign me up.

For the front skidplate; is there a way to bolt the lower panel under the upper instead of vice versa? Or, better yet, have them mount flush? It would help whatever got slammed into it slide right under without that overlapping lip on there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You read my mind

One could easily bolt them together make a simple bracket
They do not provide such bracket with the skid plate kit, assuming you also got the bumper like we did

This sucker is tough but it’s not “rock
Bouncer” tough. It is waaaaay stronger then the flimsy fx4 ranger (factory) skid plate everyone’s running, but even bolting one of those on can add some major protection to the underside of the cooling stack

It would be *****in to also dimple dye all the holes add
More strength and some wicked cool looks

I think if I made a bracket to attach them I would run a rib full length down both sides all the way up into the main body of the Bumper under the winch. Add a crossbar at the rear of the two drop down mounting brackets

I would also build a skid plate for the superlift brackets that could even attach to this piece! It all depends on how you are gonna use the truck. This setup should work well on this ranger she’s a trail rig but not a rock bouncer lol

Upgrades like this can be done over time! I keep trying to get Eddiemoney to move closer
I am for sure gonna miss this truck when she’s gone! But I’m also looking forward to building a ttb v8 sport trac of my own, and getting caught up on our own vehicle repairs!!

Back