2006 Explorer 4.6 4X4 Alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer 4.6 4X4 Alignment

steve2013

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
Hey, I'm new here and just recently purchased a Explorer for winter duty
Long story short, my explorer was pulling hard to the right, and I had an alignment done at ford, where they couldn't get everything adjusted properly, camber is on the edge of the negative spec, and caster is overly positive.

After rotating the tires, I found my pull was being caused by the tires as it followed to the other side, but I want to get my alignment closer to the middle of spec before replacing tires. Ford says I need new coil springs, but I don't think the vehicle has sagged that much, and with 120,000KM I don't think coils should need to be replaced just to get camber/caster within spec.

MOOG, sells a Camber Caster kit, but there instructions do not show the same set up as my truck, appears to be 3rd gen. They can't give me any information on where these 4 washers go, and thats my first question. It seems theres no one else having these issues, as I can't find anything online.

Alignment is as follows
Scan143510001-3_zps7e2097db.jpg

Scan143510001-2_zps503b2503.jpg

On the front I would just do the ball joints on both sides and that should take care of the issues so that you can get it in spec. I agree that changing the coil springs wouldn't fix the real underlying issue.

Balljoints are tight.. Im thinking of unbolting the top a arm and expanding the slots.. Depending on how much room there is around it. Just find it odd I'm the only one with this issue

Ok, the one thing that bothers me the most is the caster on both sides that didn't change at all once they got everything in spec. which says that something is pretty consistently bent on both sides. Since the caster is pretty much the same on both sides and everything else is in spec. now I wouldn't worry about it and have new tires put on. If after the new tires are on the vehicle it doesn't track straight then I would worry about purchasing a camber/caster kit. The wear pattern/pull in the old tires is most likely due to a lack of tire rotation on the previous owners part.

Back