2006 XLT Front Left Axle Seal Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 XLT Front Left Axle Seal Leaking

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Was under the car the other day and noticed a lot of new oil/grime buildup at the axle seal for the front left 4x4 CV axle where it goes into the front differential. How easy is it to change that seal? Just pull the axle and pull the seal out? What do you use to press in the new seal? Axle then just slides back in? Thanks for any help.

Was under the car the other day and noticed a lot of new oil/grime buildup at the axle seal for the front left 4x4 CV axle where it goes into the front differential. How easy is it to change that seal? Just pull the axle and pull the seal out? What do you use to press in the new seal? Axle then just slides back in? Thanks for any help.
My son and I changed the same one on my O8. Yes just pull the axle and change the seal. Just started the seal by tapping evenly around and ended up using a 2x4 (didn't have a seal driver where we were working) with one person holding/watch the seal and the other tapping the board. Some people claim the lock ring needs to be changed on the axel after removal but my son who is a professional mechanic has never had any issues by not changing them. Be sure to torque the axle nut correctly without weight on the wheel, hold the brake. Also check/add fluid to the front diff. since it was leaking.

Change the cv shaft bearing (or plastic nylon slide bushing) as well.the lock ring is theoretically unreusable..its up to you to reuse it.take the diff cover off to see the shaft lock ring locked all the way in.

The most easy way is to use aluminum seal install kit for the seal to be driven to the axle

My son and I changed the same one on my O8. Yes just pull the axle and change the seal. Just started the seal by tapping evenly around and ended up using a 2x4 (didn't have a seal driver where we were working) with one person holding/watch the seal and the other tapping the board. Some people claim the lock ring needs to be changed on the axel after removal but my son who is a professional mechanic has never had any issues by not changing them. Be sure to torque the axle nut correctly without weight on the wheel, hold the brake. Also check/add fluid to the front diff. since it was leaking.
Thanks. Great info. May have to give it a try myself now. I've done axle seals on a Ram 1500 but a whole lot more working room in that wheel well.

Back