• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer Transmission error

Btadams1

Reaction score
City, State
St James
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have read so many posts and non seem to fit my issue.

Here’s the story 2008 Explorer xlt AWD.

Transmission has no reverse or drive. It tries to go but slips.

I CAN drive it by starting in d1 and shift up once you have enough speed- just like a manual. Same for d2 and d3. I took it to the shop and they put 3 used transmissions and all done the exact same thing.

It was put on the machine at Ford and they say it’s internal and not electrical. They also said it’s not drivable but I drove it home 45 miles.

I grew up working on cars and the odds that three working transmissions all three did the same makes me think that can’t be it. It has to be another issue.

When driving it does seem to rev the engine higher at times.

Anyone have any advice before I part out a decent vehicle.

Thanks
Bryan A

Some posts have mentioned a clicking on the gear shift mine is doing this as well.

I have read so many posts and non seem to fit my issue.

Here’s the story 2008 Explorer xlt AWD.

Transmission has no reverse or drive. It tries to go but slips.

I CAN drive it by starting in d1 and shift up once you have enough speed- just like a manual. Same for d2 and d3. I took it to the shop and they put 3 used transmissions and all done the exact same thing.

It was put on the machine at Ford and they say it’s internal and not electrical. They also said it’s not drivable but I drove it home 45 miles.

I grew up working on cars and the odds that three working transmissions all three did the same makes me think that can’t be it. It has to be another issue.

When driving it does seem to rev the engine higher at times.

Anyone have any advice before I part out a decent vehicle.

Thanks
Bryan A

Some posts have mentioned a clicking on the gear shift mine is doing this as well.
Do you have the V6 or V8?
If you have the V8, you likely have the 6r60 transmission.

If they put in 3 different transmissions and everything was happening the same, then I would imagine the issue is electrical in nature.
1st, check the bulk head connector that connects to the valve body. It has several small wires that can get bent pretty good and might have sheered. This would effect the communication to the transmission.
2nd, see if you can get a mechanic to come out and run a scan tool on the TCM and see if there are any codes that may be of importance.

If you have the 5 speed trans, I believe the TCM is with the PCM and could mean you need a new PCM.

The only other things I can think of are, is there a fluid leak, is there an issue with the output shaft.

I would start by having Ford reprogram the TCU. Had a similar problem after messing with transmission settings (had to manually shift).
Took it to Ford, told them to not perform any service only program TCU/ECU with latest updates.
Fixed issue - it was a $100 gamble which worked. Your problem may be the TCU itself or wiring as mentioned before.

Back
Top Bottom