• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Exaust Question

cpudvah

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hi all i am new here and have found this site to be a great resource for information on my explorer. However i have a question about the exaust on my 99 sohc that i have not really found an answer to. On the passenger side the pipe/bolts have rusted out from the manifold (there isnt much rust anywhere else im not sure how this one area rusted out so bad). I want to put an exaust system on the car and there is lots of good information about cat back systems but thanks to the rust i need to replace the whole thing from the manifold to the muffler. Could anyone recommend a hi flow cat set up for the sohc? I havnt been able to find one. I am planing to stick with the 2 in 1 out for the muffler (hunterdans cherry bomb sounds awesome im thinking of getting one) and add a 2.5" tail pipe. Also i think i have to take the manifolds off to replace the pipe w/ the cats (the whole thing is super rusted where the new system would bolt up) could anyone suggest a good set of headers if i want to splurge :D Thanks in advance for the help!

My ideas

Well for headers JBA makes a set for the 2nd gens with SOHC. I believe explorerexpress.com has them. I got the Magnaflow y-pipe and a 20" 4x9 Magnaflow muffler, then I dumped it under the truck until I can get a tailpipe in there. It came out a bit funky but worked out in the end. The dual in single out Magnaflow might have been a better option for me. I like the sound of the Magnaflow, but that's up to you. So you know HunterDan's engine is the OHV so it has a slightly different sound. For my setup I had to do a lot of cutting. I do know that Magnaflow makes the high-flow cats for the SOHC, but some of the other guys have run a y-pipe down off the headers/manifolds to a single cat which of course would be a much cheaper set up. Dynomax makes a tailpipe that fits as well. All of this is 2.5" except my y-pipe goes on at 2.25" dual then 2.5" single. Good luck.

Back