Are the circular metal parts that hold the grommets transferable to new bolts or no? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are the circular metal parts that hold the grommets transferable to new bolts or no?

If they are in good condition they can be reused. If not then you could end up with oil leaking from around the bolts.
But how do I get them off the old bolts? I'm not sure they were designed to come off and be re-used. Are you familiar with the bolt and grommet holders on this valve cover? I think they're permanently attached to the bolts. I couldn't slide them off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they can't be removed then maybe you can cut them out and try to find a suitable replacement grommet online or from an auto parts store.

If they can't be removed then maybe you can cut them out and try to find a suitable replacement grommet online or from an auto parts store.
The bolts can be removed. Did you see the picture I posted above of the bolt? What cannot be separated, at least from my observations, is the metal tubing that the grommets would rest on. They slide back and forth on the bolt but they have crimped these tubes so that they won't come off the bolt itself.

I've discovered that I now have 2 broken bolts and this means I probably have 2 screw holes with the ends of screws I'm gonna have one hell of a time figuring out how to get out. I'm looking at getting a bolt/screw extractor kit/set. Does anybody know the diameter of the bolts on the Ford Explorer 2006 Valve cover and what size of extractor bit I would need to get this out?

IMG_20240525_135348517.jpg

The bolts can be removed. Did you see the picture I posted above of the bolt? What cannot be separated, at least from my observations, is the metal tubing that the grommets would rest on. They slide back and forth on the bolt but they have crimped these tubes so that they won't come off the bolt itself.
Have you tried to lube up the grommet and stretch it over the crimp?

Have you tried to lube up the grommet and stretch it over the crimp?
I'm not sure I'm following you. I'm trying to get the metal tubes off the old bolts so I can reuse them on the new bolts. There is no issue with putting grommets on the metal tubes. Did you happen to get a chance to see the image of the entire bolt assembly I posted above with all the different parts?

Although, to be honest, transferring those old metal tubes is the least of my worries now. I gotta extract the ends of 2 broken bolts from 2 of the Valve Cover screw holes. Anybody know the diameter of these bolts and the extractor size I would use?

I'm not sure I'm following you. I'm trying to get the metal tubes off the old bolts so I can reuse them on the new bolts. There is no issue with putting grommets on the metal tubes. Did you happen to get a chance to see the image of the entire bolt assembly I posted above with all the different parts?

Although, to be honest, transferring those old metal tubes is the least of my worries now. I gotta extract the ends of 2 broken bolts from 2 of the Valve Cover screw holes. Anybody know the diameter of these bolts and the extractor size I would use?
I see, I doubt those metal tubes are going to come off the bolts and if they do there are good odds they won't be usable. I don't envy you on extracting bolts. I had to do this on a piece of exercise equipment last week and it was time consuming.

It's almost like the worst possible thing that could have happened during this whole procedure. Broken bolt fragments in the screw holes. I was so close to being done it's just not fair. :(

It's almost like the worst possible thing that could have happened during this whole procedure. Broken bolt fragments in the screw holes. I was so close to being done it's just not fair. :(
For me, the smaller bolts are a lot worse than the larger ones. I find using industrial grade drill bits makes the process go faster.

Your nightmare started when you broke the first bolt weeks ago. Since then, all you have done is dick around with the bolts and have not even identified the bolt specs.
Take one of the existing bolts (without the sleeve extension) to h/d or lowes and buy several of the same size. Now you will have the specs.
And buy some exceptional penetrating fluid like kranoil, NOT wd-40.

A"reverse twist" drill bit with smaller diameter is your best bet to get those screws out. Take it slow, the bit will finally snag and twist the broken piece out

Well, the bad news is the first thing you’ll need to get that bolt out is penetrating oil……

Is this not one of the bolts you said was an M6? If so it’s a 6mm diameter.

I wasn't aware that the 4.0 SOHC valve cover bolts were prone to seizing up, but then again, I can't get my eighth intake bolt out. I wish that I could break it off the deal with extracting the remains while the engine is out.

Galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals? Anti sieze is your best friend on exterior bolts/fasteners.

Your nightmare started when you broke the first bolt weeks ago. Since then, all you have done is dick around with the bolts and have not even identified the bolt specs.
Take one of the existing bolts (without the sleeve extension) to h/d or lowes and buy several of the same size. Now you will have the specs.
And buy some exceptional penetrating fluid like kranoil, NOT wd-40.
I'm not sure what you trying to say here. I took one of the bolts up to Home Depot and the guy who worked there recommended I go to another hardware store because he couldn't find anything similar. These are not just your everyday run of the mill bolts that you can find on the shelf of any local hardware store.
These are partially threaded bolts to allow a smooth area for the grommet sleeve to rest on. Then there are the additional wiring studs on top of the bolts. Firstly, you have to get the right diameter, The right total length of the bolt/screw, the right thread pitch, and probably a couple of other metrics I'm forgetting.
I've already got replacement bolts off EBay anyway. My problem now is getting the ends of 2 broken bolts out. And I don't consider my slow pace a form of laziness. I have a full time job to keep so that they don't fire me for browsing the bolt section all day at Home Depot looking for a ridiculously complex, highly specialized bolt that I had to buy from China.
The breaking of the first bolt could be viewed as a nightmare or a blessing in disguise. Because of my breaking the first bolt that is now 17 years of age, I have 6 brand new bolts in my possession. So, while I'm in a bit of a mess at the moment, it's really only because I haven't been here before.
Well, the day at work was long and I'm tired, so going to bed for now.
But I'll be around here and there as I balance my free time with all the other responsibilities I have in life.

I have to head out to work shortly and I haven't read enough of your thread to see if these are/were available from Ford parts. I assume that the 2nd bolt is as easy to get to as the top left one. I suppose it is possible that before all is said and done that you may have to HELICOIL the two bolt holes.
@Bill MacLeod It's not really San Hill's fault that his situation started with galvanic corrosion. It's a little too late to use anti sieze compound, however it could be used going back together.

San Hill - I suggested to get a couple of similar length bolts (from hex head to end of thread) because 1 only stud can be easily bypassed. The stud sleeve only holds the plug wiring, correct? And please post the bolt thread specs so others will know.

We have all been there with broken bolts. You can either have a professional remove it (very expensive) or do it yourself. If the latter, roll-up your sleeves.

Someone else may have a better method and will likely chime in. The following is how I would would try to remove it.

Now on to the broken bolt. Fill all the holes/spaces in the heads with rags. Soak the bolt hole with penetrating oil. Do this for a day or 2. At some point, you will need to completely cover all exposed parts of the valve train, with only the bolt hole exposed. A shop vac and or small magnets may be needed to capture cuttings. Possible a 3rd hand.

You will need the following tools. A sharp centre punch and hammer, small drill bits (1/16, 1/8, 3/16, buy several of each) or similar size, a 1/4 or 3/8 reversing drill. Preferably 2 speed. You will need to drill at a very low speed. And left hand drill bits could be very helpful.
You will also need small extractors and a tap of the thread size. You will need to clean/repair the threads.

Once exposed area's are completely covered, try to spot punch the centre on the bolt. This is critical, will be difficult because of the uneven shear of the bolt. Start with the smallest bit, drill with very light pressure and at a very low speed. Weight of the drill only with a sharp bit and cutting fluid should start the cutting. Drill about 3/8 " deep. Then the next larger bit and alittle deeper, then the next size drill bit and deeper yet.
It the drill bit flexes or wobbles, your are applying too much pressure, If it charters, either you apply more cutting fluid or change to a new bit.
If the drill bit breaks, your fudged. Use very light pressure on the drill.

What you are trying to do, is reduce the broken bolt to a shell. At this point it will easily come out.

Back