• Register Today It's free!

Hi. Clutch question

3E

Reaction score
City, State
Portland oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explirer 5 speed 4wd
Hi all Explorer enthusiasts. I now know why you're into the Explorers. I just inherited one. It's been sitting for a couple years and I now have it running. I love the way it handles, reminds me of the beloved International Scott I once had.

I came to this forum because, well I am not a mechanic. I know only the basics and I have owned mostly vehicles with automatic transmissions. The fluid resivor for the clutch master cylinder is about dry and I need to bleed it. I did a little YouTube research and think it should be on the bell housing of the transisdion. I couldn't find it. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all Explorer enthusiasts. I now know why you're into the Explorers. I just inherited one. It's been sitting for a couple years and I now have it running. I love the way it handles, reminds me of the beloved International Scott I once had.

I came to this forum because, well I am not a mechanic. I know only the basics and I have owned mostly vehicles with automatic transmissions. The fluid resivor for the clutch master cylinder is about dry and I need to bleed it. I did a little YouTube research and think it should be on the bell housing of the transisdion. I couldn't find it. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry about the mess up I'm the title.

Welcome. The slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing, you would have to drop the transmission to change it. There is an inspection view port on the drivers side of bellhousing, with a rubber grommet.
You can first try just adding fluid (mercon atf) to the reservoir and see if that’s all it needs. Otherwise, there’s a good thread on best procedure to bleed the system somewhere around here. It takes a little work, as there’s a spot that catches an air bubble if not done right.
Keep that 91 going, it’s a tough beast, especially with a manual trans.
I changed your thread title a bit to help.

It can be a pain to bleed, there's videos on YouTube that show you can bleed it by pulling the c clip in the clutch master cylinder and lifting the rod. I use this method and have the clutch bled in about 5 minutes. I'd verify that there's no leaks as stated above.

If the reservoir is dry then chances are good tbe slave cylinder is leaking and needs to be swapped out

The slave cylinder is inside the transmission and the 5 speed has to be removed to change it

We use luk parts only
I have said this for years
My stepson just put a 02 ranger together last week he tried to save some $$ and got an off brand slave cylinder. Now he wishes he never did because the clutch feels completely wrong
Luk only for the slave cyl imo. Luk is oem

Welcome to ef!!

Back