• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Light Blinking

AlabamaExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4WD
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. Recently, the overdrive light began blinking and the overdrive button has no effect when this happens. It shifts into overdrive perfectly for around 30 - 60 minutes, and if I'm in overdrive when it begins blinking then it stays in overdrive until I have to slow down. After slowing down when the light is blinking, everything works great except for the fact that it won't change into overdrive again. The strange thing is that if I pull over, shut it off, and restart, the light is off and everything works correctly again for another period of time.

Is this generally a sign of a problem that isn't too serious? I figure that if it were a serious problem then it wouldn't change into overdrive all the time and I wouldn't be able to pull over to correct the issue. Will I hurt the vehicle by driving it with this problem? Are there any simple checks I can do? Money is a bit tight now, so taking it to a shop probably isn't going to be happening anytime soon.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The only way you are going to know what is causing your o/d light to blink is to get your hands on a scan tool that can read transmission codes. Or you can go to a dealership and pay the $90 - 100 that they charge for scanning the pcm in your vehicle.

Back