• Register Today It's free!

Stuck CV axle

Sporttracdora

Reaction score
City, State
REDMOND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explore sport trac
for the past year my drivers side cv axle stub has been STUCK inside the differential pumpkin. I mean STUCK!!! I have attempted to removed it with crow bars, prying evenly with 2 people from different spots. As well as slide hammering it although it was a pretty junk homemade set up. Should I be worried about the inside of the differential? Should I just get a new diff carrier?. Only 370ish dollars for a new one. I’ve had the entire diff assembly out once before to seal it back up from some bad leaks but did not know about the cv at the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cv axle is retained in the diff by a circlip and they can be a bugger to remove when they get stuck like this.

If no now it sounds silly but have you tried a simple small pry bar right underneath the xv where it enters the diff? Typically all it takes is just a slight bump and it defeats the circlip. I am sure you have tried this since you said prybars but I have to ask

There is a perfect spot for the pry bar on the driver side and they usually just pop loose

So if yours is not (obviously) then we have to fight Harder. So another trick is to use the cv axle itself as the skid hammer. With everything out of your way and the cv axle lines up straight to the diff you press the cv axle all the way into the diff and then slam it outward as hard as you can… the cv axle will not come apart. You may have to re align the axle to get it all back together if you pull the cvs out of their cups but it’s no biggie. You cannot pull hard enough to hurt anything. This Method will work if you are able to get enough force on it
I’ve battled one of these for days and then finally it let go, they can be a real pita when the circlip jams up

The cv axle is retained in the diff by a circlip and they can be a bugger to remove when they get stuck like this.

If no now it sounds silly but have you tried a simple small pry bar right underneath the xv where it enters the diff? Typically all it takes is just a slight bump and it defeats the circlip. I am sure you have tried this since you said prybars but I have to ask

There is a perfect spot for the pry bar on the driver side and they usually just pop loose

So if yours is not (obviously) then we have to fight Harder. So another trick is to use the cv axle itself as the skid hammer. With everything out of your way and the cv axle lines up straight to the diff you press the cv axle all the way into the diff and then slam it outward as hard as you can… the cv axle will not come apart. You may have to re align the axle to get it all back together if you pull the cvs out of their cups but it’s no biggie. You cannot pull hard enough to hurt anything. This Method will work if you are able to get enough force on it home remodeling snohomish
I’ve battled one of these for days and then finally it let go, they can be a real pita when the circlip jams up
I'm attempting to replace the CV axles in my 1999 (299,489 miles!). The passenger side went as planned, according to all the How To videos. The driver's side, however, will not budge. I've used my 24" pry bar. I've pounded on the gap with a wide chisel and 5lb. sledge. (It's up on jack stands and I'm lying underneath, so I can't get a lot of "motivation" into it.) I've put some penetrant in the gap. I can just barely see the splines, but there is no movement at all. I've seen some videos about taking the boot apart and then trying to get it out with vice grips and a slide hammer. Are there any other ideas before I have to succomb to taking it to a repair shop? Thanks

Take the diff cover off and compress the circlip from the inside of the diff when pulling the cv joint out of the siff simultaniously

Use the cv axle itself as the
Slide hammer
Compress it into the diff and the. Give it a huge jerk outward and straight.. should pop

Taking the diff cover off would be very difficult with the diff in the truck

Otherwise you have to just keep prying around where it enters the seal, keep the shaft as straight as possible

You can remove the diff with drives cv axle attached if needed and then open the cover

Use the cv axle itself as the
Slide hammer
Compress it into the diff and the. Give it a huge jerk outward and straight.. should pop

Taking the diff cover off would be very difficult with the diff in the truck

Otherwise you have to just keep prying around where it enters the seal, keep the shaft as straight as possible

You can remove the diff with drives cv axle Rent Monthly Car in Dubai attached if needed and then open the cover
Dealing with a stuck CV axle can be challenging, but there are several methods you can try to remove it:

1. Penetrating Oil: Apply penetrating oil to the area where the CV axle enters the transmission or differential. Let it sit for some time to penetrate and loosen any corrosion or rust that may be causing the axle to stick.
  2. Heat: Use a heat gun or torch to apply heat to the area around the CV axle where it meets the transmission or differential. Heating the metal can help expand it, making it easier to remove the axle.
  3. Impact Tool: Use an impact tool such as a hammer or mallet to gently tap on the end of the CV axle. Be careful not to damage the threads or CV joint while doing this. The impact can help break loose any corrosion or rust that may be holding the axle in place.
  4. Pry Bar: Use a pry bar or large screwdriver to carefully pry the CV axle away from the transmission or differential. Be cautious not to damage the surrounding components while doing this.
  5. Slide Hammer: A slide hammer with a CV axle attachment can provide additional force to pull the axle out of the transmission or differential. Attach the slide hammer to the end of the axle and use it to apply steady, pulling force.

Back