Water pump for Explorer Limited 06/2011 - single or dual row of teeth? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump for Explorer Limited 06/2011 - single or dual row of teeth?

vmozer

Reaction score
City, State
Slovakia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer 3.5 Limited
I know that water pumps for the 3.5 l explorers have been discussed gazillion times, but I am getting my order ready with RockAuto and am unable to come to a conclusion if what they offer is the right type of water pump for my car.

I have found and confirmed that for my Explorer I need a water pump with a part number PW515 (AT4Z8501A) - confirmed via the parts.ford.com site, using my VIN number. Now here comes the confusing part:
parts.ford.com states that PW515 is good for explorers with 3.5L naturally aspirated engines manufactured from 11/01/2010 until 01/02/2012 and says SINGLE ROW OF TEETH. The exploded view figure shows a pump with a sprocket with a single row of teeth, however, the photos show dual row of teeth.

rockauto - here the same part (PW515) is shown as two rows of teeth in the description when I navigate via 2011 explorer (the same picture with a dual row sprocket is in the info section). When I navigate via 2012 explorer, I get PW515 for before 1/2/2012 but with a Single Row Of Teeth description. The picture is again with the same dual row sprocket as shown in on the parts.ford.com and for 2011 explorer folder on rockauto.

Btw the workshop manual specifically for 2011 explorers shows a dual row teeth sprocket in the repair guide and single row in the system description exploded view - part number is 8501 - which seems to be part of AT4Z8501A (perhaps old part numbering)

So I have a (hopefully) simple question: Has the original water pump used in 3.5L explorers until 1/2/2012 single or dual row of teeth on the sprocket? I haven't found any revisions of the PW515 that would indicate sprockets with single / dual row of teeth.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Vlad

I have been looking on Youtube and so far, from the videos available, it appears that the water pump for 2011 Explorer is actually the dual row of teeth model. Will keep researching more official sources and wait for any replies here.
Videos showing Ford Explorer 3.5 2011 water pumps:

Btw, the first two videos show crazy damage to the pumps due to their failure.
Vlad

Although it is a little difficult to tell, it appears this one has a dual row.
Original 2011-2014 Ford Engine Water Pump AT4Z-8501-A | Levittown Ford Parts
FYI, Levittown Ford is a forum vendor and offers members a discount.
1715447162887.png

Peter

Back