Voice activated sync, broke, nav, broke | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Voice activated sync, broke, nav, broke

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
When do we get our new sync in the mail?

Do we just plug it in the same way we plugged in the updates with a usb?

Now i get a message that nav isnt working, my button to voice activate does nothing, etc.

gettin so tired of all this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MFT Update

@Randys1:

The MFT update (not necessarily sync update) will occur sometime in Q1 2012. More likely in Feb/Mar is what I'm reading.

Existing 2011/12 owners have 2 options:
- update via the USB stick that will be mailed by Ford to your address. They will have instructions, but essentially you'll insert this into the USB media slot within the car
- Visit the Dealer and they will update the MFT s/w for you

Meanwhile - find out what MFT version you currently have, believe 2.11 is the latest. You can self update from Ford's website (download to a USB and follow instructions). If you already have 2.11, then it's a Dealer visit :(

Good luck!

Now i get a message that nav isnt working, my button to voice activate does nothing, etc.

Button may be broken? I agree with the other poster to ensure you are updated to 2.11. If that button still doesn't work, I'd take to dealer.

I've had no problems with 2.11 so far, but I've only had my vehicle for a couple of weeks.

Randys1 -

I'm sorry to see that you're frustrated! Please feel free to PM me with the full details and your VIN so I can look into it further for you.

The update will be sent to the address we have in our system for you, sometime in the first quarter of next year. It'll be on a USB flash drive and if you have NAV, there will be a new SD card included. All you will have to do is plug the USB flash drive into one of your USB ports (just like 2.11 if you downloaded it from our website). It will take about an hour to install.

Here's a link to the press release about the upgrade (in case you haven't seen it yet):

http://syncsupport.ford.com/servlet/technology/updates-sync-with-myford-touch

Here's a video from CNET that shows the different screens:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/new-myford-interface/9742-1_53-50115155.html

Again, please send me the above info so I can help with your issues!

Rebecca

Rebecca,
Are you one of the beta testers? I read on here they are letting 1,000 employees beta test new upgrade. I hope you are and please give us your feedback if so. You're very helpful

Randy, I had the same issue you had with the sync commands not working at all with rearview camera lag. Etc. System probably did a reset overnight and the issues were fixed. I had 2.11.

Try pulling the terminals from your battery and putting it back or pull fuse 29 like others have suggested. Also try a master reset by going to settings on the MFT. Other than that, I guess wait for the upgrade.

Randy, I had the same issue you had with the sync commands not working at all with rearview camera lag. Etc. System probably did a reset overnight and the issues were fixed. I had 2.11.

Try pulling the terminals from your battery and putting it back or pull fuse 29 like others have suggested. Also try a master reset by going to settings on the MFT. Other than that, I guess wait for the upgrade.

mine finally did a system maintenance reset deal where the progress bar shows etc...this time it took so long before it happened, hopefully the new system will work better
thanks

i already had 2.11 by the way, i have had it for a while

I thought camera was lagging also but I read the manual and it indicated the camera would not disengage or disappear until car was up to 6 mph I think. Your issue may be different than that but mine works this way...if you think camera is staying on too long see if it gos away after you pick up a little speed in drive. It doesn't go away when you just shift to drive...

great that they fixed the speed of response but those screens are a step backwards!!!! they look like a 2 yr olds toy screen..... i don't want a babies toy on my screen i just want what i have now to work!!!!!

I'm hoping that once they fix the responsiveness & crashing issues with MFT, that they then work on another upgrade that will allow the user to customize what's on the screen so those that want it simple can keep it simple & those that want it more complex can add items to each screen. I also hope that they continue to allow 2011 & 2012 customers to upgrade when changes come, even if the next one is a $100 cost.

I thought camera was lagging also but I read the manual and it indicated the camera would not disengage or disappear until car was up to 6 mph I think. Your issue may be different than that but mine works this way...if you think camera is staying on too long see if it gos away after you pick up a little speed in drive. It doesn't go away when you just shift to drive...
The 'lag' as you call it is because your camera delay feature is likely set to ON (default). If you set it to OFF, then there is no delay when shifting out of Reverse.

Rebecca,
Are you one of the beta testers? I read on here they are letting 1,000 employees beta test new upgrade. I hope you are and please give us your feedback if so. You're very helpful

Hi, jspeer!

I'm not a beta-tester for the new software. I'll be trained on the ins and outs of the new software soon, so I can answer any questions you all may have when you receive it!

Rebecca

broke again, nav wont work...getting sick of this, wife has new bmw with same type system, flawless...amazing difference in quality

i hope i get the usb flash drive soon with the new program in it

broke again, nav wont work...getting sick of this, wife has new bmw with same type system, flawless...amazing difference in quality

i hope i get the usb flash drive soon with the new program in it

As I was told from my rep at Ford, whether or not it is true is a different storey. But what he said was there is an issue with the system storing corrupt data. After some time, the system stops working because there is too much corrupted data. A battery or fuse pull wipes the system clean, and purges all the data. He swears it will not be like this in the new update.

As I was told from my rep at Ford, whether or not it is true is a different storey. But what he said was there is an issue with the system storing corrupt data. After some time, the system stops working because there is too much corrupted data. A battery or fuse pull wipes the system clean, and purges all the data. He swears it will not be like this in the new update.

thanks, yeah, heard that...in fairness to ford, i would have never bought one but the local dealer was a client (lost his dealership right after i bought it) and my company buys from our clients

but always had gm or bmw in past, when i could afford bmw...so to buy a ford that i didnt want and then to complain about the inevitable lack of quality that i know exists is not fair of me, i just want it to work and then I will stop complaining like a little girl (sexist remark, apologies to the women here)

This has been posted before but the MFT does experience intermittent (and thus very frustrating) navigation errors. After mine failed to work the 3d time I really needed it, I got in the habit of printing maps from Google when I was going somewhere unfamiliar (why was I suckered into paying Ford for nav again?).

I am hoping the big update fixes all our problems. Now if I could just not keep going crazy with all the new Applink announcements from the trade shows (all these wonderful apps which seem to be available for cars other than our Explorers for some reason). It seems like Ford is putting a lot of resources here which is good but the sad thing is that one of the reasons I bought the Explorer in the first place was my detrimental reliance on Ford's ads touting the service for their new MFT (for the Edge/ and then Explorer) about 3 CES shows ago (when it was first announced).

I know that we need to first get a stable MFT before even considering getting the other things Ford advertised like Apps and I hope Ford delivers on what it advertised after it fixes the base MFT. Sorry for all the negativity but I was really psyched about getting this car because of MFT and MFT has thus far been a buggy mess (and was not delivered with promised features like Apps which went from coming soon, to no comment until after MFT is fixed). I am willing to see if Ford can make good with the next big update, but forgive me if I don't trust Ford on this one.

so the flash drive with the new update will be mailed to us when the 2013 Taurus is released this spring, per Ford

So i wonder if that means feb, march, april or may

so the flash drive with the new update will be mailed to us when the 2013 Taurus is released this spring, per Ford

So i wonder if that means feb, march, april or may
When they say it will be released in Q1 of 2012, I take that to mean no later than end of March.
BTW, Spring begins March 20th.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently noticed that if I enter my destination before I back out of my garage the navigation system often can not determine my starting point correctly. I think my garage blocks the GPS reception.

When I back out of the garage first before I set my destination I have much fewer issues. I do not know if this will help anyone else, but I think it is worth mentioning.

When I was picking up my Ex, my salesman told me that sometimes MFT has an issue if you begin to drive before the system fully boots. If you wait a few extra seconds for the system to completely start, you have much fewer issues.

I have not really been able to tell if starting quickly makes a difference yet (after all I'm not trying to cause MFT issues) but I think it there may be something to it if you look at the link above of the autoshow comments by CNET on MFT. It sounds like Ford is updating the way some if the data is kept between sessions (pay attention to what he says about the system state). It is all just speculation until we get our hands on the update, but I optimistic that this will be a move in the correct direction.

Back