Third Break Light

Explorer#2

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Alabama,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
So guys this has been going on for a while, but my third break light, above the rear glass, doesnt go off. I turn my car off and it stays on. Its not draining my battery or if it is its going very slowly.

I have taken it off and looked at it and cant find anything wrong. I have looked at everything I can think of.

Anybody have any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a new one on me, but it sounds like a switch problem somewhere. Not sure why it wouln't affect all the brake lights though.

They there are a few things that I can think of that might be doing it but like you said it would effect the other two too

Does it change when you lock the truck and set the pats on?

I have led tail lights and have noticed mine flashes very rapidly-but glows steady when I set the pats. It is not full brightness however. It is very dimly lit up.

So guys this has been going on for a while, but my third break light, above the rear glass, doesnt go off. I turn my car off and it stays on. Its not draining my battery or if it is its going very slowly.

I have taken it off and looked at it and cant find anything wrong. I have looked at everything I can think of.

Anybody have any ideas

Does this one have the neon tube 3rd brake light, or the LED 3rd brake light?

From what I can tell the feed for the 3rd brake light is the same not just for the 3rd brake light but for all of them, so they'd all be on if that one was on. My diagram is for a '99, tho.

Does it change when you lock the truck and set the pats on?

I will look tonight and make sure im right but I think it lights up more when I lock it. Kind of like when you hit the breaks but have the lights on. Mine is a 98 so if its that different from a 99 I would be shocked.

I will look tonight and make sure im right but I think it lights up more when I lock it. Kind of like when you hit the breaks but have the lights on. Mine is a 98 so if its that different from a 99 I would be shocked.

97 down had a neon light
98 up have leds

do you use LED Tail light bulbs. or have a trailer wiring harness connected?

pull the fuse on it and see if it still is lit.... from there you can narrow it down some more.... potentially a fuse block problem or possibly wiring issue in the back cargo area... maybe

ok so when its just sitting there it flashes really quickly and when I hit the lock or unlock on my remote it goes to a solid light.

Also wouldnt the fuses be for all the lights and not just one. The other two work just fine

I tried to take some pics but it wasnt working

there is a fuse for ONLY that light...TMK

Back