Blacksheep Josh's "Thunder" Registry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blacksheep Josh's "Thunder" Registry

What is it?
-1993 Ford Explorer XLT
-Automatic Transmission
-Highly unmodified 4.0L OHV Engine

Well, now that I have a substantial amount of money in my account (School Loan) I've decided to do what I've been saying I'll do for month's now which is to join the Elite Explorer's. I've learned much from just reading this site, and as many of you can guess I can now offer opinions and possible solutions to problems, all thanks to Explorer Forum. Before this site the thing I knew how to do on a car was check the tire pressure... Now, I can pretty much do anything that only requires handtools (air tools are coming!!).

I've decided to give my Explorer a name, hence the "Thunder" registry. I picked Thunder because when all is said and finished my Explorer will be hard to see at night, but it will be heard from far. Hence "Thunder". You can hear it, but you can't see it.

I'm mainly building up my Explorer as a dependable daily driver, yet a "show-truck", something that one day I will be proud to show off and drive around. It won't look normal, but it won't look completely off the wall.

I've already installed a Flowmaster 40 Series on it, I like it, but I wished it was louder, so I'm going to install a dual out muffler and run wider piping. I also have the 5.0 MAF running with a Cone Air Filter.

Next modification: PAINT!!! I used Wal-Mart/Rustoleum Flat Black on it, it came out all right, but not the level I want it. I'm going to be using the Maaco in Savannah to paint it flat black. I'm not looking for the BEST job, but I want uniform color, with mine I have high and low spots and lots of spotting.

Stay tuned!!

August 30/31 Update: I have running boards installed now. They are from the Limited Edition/Eddie Bauer, they are the custom molded and they bolt on. Pictures soon to follow. I like them, only problem is I've been tripping on them getting out. Next part I need is the bumper valence from the Limited Editions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

congrads on being elite josh

...Congrats on joining the "Elite" crowd...:thumbsup:

...I saw a "Ryobi Tools" new F150 painted flat black on the freeway a couple days ago...I had to do a double take and yes, it was flat black...This could become a common thing to see in the near future..:dunno:

I think it all ready is. But it came about more from Rob and Big having that Tahoe of theirs painted Flat Black. I'm going to try and get all the body stuff done first, like fixing dents and installing the step boards (from a limited) on there to give it a lower looking stance.

It'll come together. Now that I'm off at school I can try and save and do it during the Summer or parts at a time.

I'm definitely going to be sending some stuff off to be powder coated though... :D

As posted earlier in the First Generation forum. Latest issue is the Dash Lights not working. I referred to my Haynes Manual and there's a ten amp fuse just for this, so I'm hoping that's the problem. Wish me luck!

Edit: Problem fixed!! It was only the fuse, thank goodness!! It was a 10 amp fuse that blew, all the dash illumination lights work now. I'm using a 20 amp spare fuse until I can get to the auto store later today.

Next modification will most likely power slotted/drilled brakes with ceramic pads and disc brakes in the back (swapping out entire rear end). If I have the money I'll also do the suspension drop at the same time.

Last edited:

....Wow, nice avatar..:thumbsup:

...I am interested on reading up about your brake project...I will one day do this myself...:D

I also noticed that you Elite Registry also came with a handle change -- congrats on earning two capital letters ;)

I'm a very pretty man, yes thank you. LOL

The brake swap will be a long time coming. I'm doing a lot of research into it. Not only what rotors and pads to use, but also the suspension. I figure while I have the leaf springs out I might as well fix them or replace them because of the sag.

Speaking of the sag, as many know I've been planning to lower for just about the entire life of the Explorer.

Now just go with this for a minute.

I could use a simple Add-A-Leaf system to fix the sag on the left side to make it even with the right. With it being the same height, I could use blocks to lower it. Everything will be at the same height, and that's what matters right? What do y'all think? I know it sounds weird and crazy, "going up to go down", but technically it'd work right?

I also noticed that you Elite Registry also came with a handle change -- congrats on earning two capital letters ;)

Thank you, Thank You.

As I grow older and more "mature" (all of 20 years old, lol), I realize that correct capitalization looks better and makes it look more professional. Also gives me some credibility I think.

Hopefully that will change! It'll happen slowly but it will be surely!

My goal is to collect the parts and then have the current engine rebuilt, and have my mechanic install the aftermarket parts I have during the rebuild. Like heads, cam, stuff like that. I'm not about to go that deep into the engine. I'm taking a LOT of ideas from Creager's thread, that thread gives me inspiration that a BUNCH of power is available, you just have to do stuff right.

Running Boards!!! I like them, I need to paint them, and recondition the plastic. I'm still looking for the front bumper from a Limited Edition, if you have one, let me know!
2j5naz8.jpg

...Congrats on joining the "Elite" crowd...:thumbsup:

...I saw a "Ryobi Tools" new F150 painted flat black on the freeway a couple days ago...I had to do a double take and yes, it was flat black...This could become a common thing to see in the near future..:dunno:

Yeah, I've seen several vehicles done flat black. I'm wondering if the style started to gain popularity from "Rob and Big"

BTW-running boards look good. I've always liked them, and wanted to install some a while back, but have decided not to, since they reduce ground clearance. I don't have a ton, but I need all I can get:D I'm thinking maybe sometime I can make some sliders that double as running boards. I don't really need either, but want both:p:

Yeah, I've seen several vehicles done flat black. I'm wondering if the style started to gain popularity from "Rob and Big"

BTW-running boards look good. I've always liked them, and wanted to install some a while back, but have decided not to, since they reduce ground clearance. I don't have a ton, but I need all I can get:D I'm thinking maybe sometime I can make some sliders that double as running boards. I don't really need either, but want both:p:

Yeah, I don't need ground clearnace, because in my world, 'offroad' is hopping a curb to get to atnoerh parking lot. lol. i think i'll live

Well... it's been around two months since I've done anything to the Explorer. So I guess it's time for an update.

I transferred colleges over the Summer, and now live in an apartment complex in Statesboro, GA where I "go to school". Well, this whole transfer schooling thing isn't working out, so I've pretty much decided to move back home, get a real apartment with a friend, and drop out of the typical 4 year college plans. I think I'm going to do automotive at the tech school. I didn't realize how much I've learned from this site until I realized the other day, that'd I'd rather work on cars all day long then be a paper pusher. So thanks Rick for making this site, who knows what I'd be getting myself into if I didn't have this place.

But anyways... the next big modification is going to be the rear axle out of a second generation Exporer. Mainly for the disc brake upgrade and also the fact that it'll have less miles on it. I'm not sure how many miles my 3.73 gears can take, but I figure less miels = better. Also because I trust myself more to swap out an axle then just brakes. And especially because the rear end will cost me less then 110 dollars to get, including rotors, calipers, pads, axle, gears, the works.

Later all.

-j

108cs5z.jpg

I took this with my camera phone this morning. Just wanted to add it here cause it looks badass

Redid the rear quarter panel on the driver side using Black Spray Can Auto Primer, and it's exactly the style finish I'm wanting, and it doesn't "feel like primer" if that makes sense. Still has a semi-smooth feel which is good, and isn't making my hand black when I wipe it.

afgax1.jpg

51dbx2.jpg

It's a good looking finish for pretty cheap, so that's the route I'll go. I've been thinking about how to do it, and I'm going to do it in stages for a couple of reasons, so I don't have to spend to much money at once (6 dollars a can), and also so I don't get fedup with anything and do a crappy job trying to hurry it up. Going to do it in the following order:
1. Rear Quarter Panels
2. Hatch (which I'm planning to shave at the same time. Wiper broke, so I'm just removing it, thinking about using the wiper switch for something else, not sure yet though)
3. Driver side doors
4. Passenger side doors
5. Front Fender
6. Hood (which I plan to take off in order to get an even coat)
7. Roof... somehow. been thinking about just truck lining up here to tell the truth. I don't use it and it'd definitely protect the metal under it.

Looks way better. Will it clean off of the plastic tail lenses easily?

Well both are cracked, and the left one has a hole in it, my plan is to replace them one day. So I'm not really worried about it, when I'm done with the rear sections I'll just get a new set, or a new used set and use that tail light tinting to darken them some and install.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you want a 'primered' look but the feel of a gloss paint you should sand your truck down smooth and paint it with a 'satin black' or 'semi gloss' paint. i think its the desired look youre going for and it wont be chalky like primer. if you do all the sanding/body work you can get your truck painted with a couple layers of satin black for fairly cheap. just tryin to help ya out.. painting in stages with rattle cans is still panel painting and will always look like that.

other than that keep up the good work! oh and have fun trying to find a 91-94 limited bumper cover, i tried for a year and a half and the only ones i found were warped beyond repair.

Back