Rough Idle, Slightly Elevated Idle Speed, Erratic Shifting, Throaty Exhaust, NO CODES | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle, Slightly Elevated Idle Speed, Erratic Shifting, Throaty Exhaust, NO CODES

mbruffey

Reaction score
City, State
MN, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
1997 Explorer 5.0. Mileage 72k (that's correct!)

Condition: Rough Idle, Slightly Elevated Idle Speed, Erratic Shifting, Throaty Exhaust, NO CODES.

After checking with OBD software and finding NO CODES, it seemes reasonable to post a question. The software (USB/OBD/ELM) shows active sensor data KOER. Timing 19-20, O2's changing voltage, but I suppose I need a chart of acceptable ranges to read those against.

Behavior. I can feel a slight miss from start cold idle and accel thru hot idle. More prominent at lower speeds, less at high; sometimes cannot feel at all. Can't feel any "loping" at any speed. Miss seems to smooth out sometimes, other times rough, minute by minute. Shifting is erratic, sometimes perfect, sometimes early or late on same trip, minute by minute. Inside of tailpipe is clean brown; almost seems like a too lean fuel condition.

Changed plugs and wires with insignificant change in condition. Old plugs were all pretty clean, no ash, especially considering the gap was .060+ on one side . . . . Installed New PCV Assy (Motorcraft)--all three hoses, etc. No noticeable change. Ran Seafoam thru vacuum lines. Have Amsoil foamy for upper intake, but have not run that thru yet. Have not reset battery, since I just recvd OBD tester today--did not want to clear any codes.

I'm hoping that the guts of the muffler may be toast resulting in too much flow and goofed up vacuum. What are the chances of this? I had a 77 Newport that went crazy any time it had an exhaust leak. Here I do not seem to have any external leaks, but the throaty roar has increased over the past 6 months. There is noticeable thrum thrum at the end pipe at idle. I would expect to feel some kind of "loping" if this were a serious timing issue, but all I feel is a light miss. Very seldom, but sometimes, the car seems to "choke" down on itself when I hit the ignition, hot or cold. That seems like some kind of timing issue.

If not muffler/airflow, then suspect vacuum leak somewhere? I do not drive hard, so I would be surprised of major engine problems/valves, etc. Uses no oil/coolant.

Anyone have an expected vacuum level for various RPMs? Maybe that could tell me if too much airflow in rear.

Thanks,

Mark

Back