I need help replacing my valve cover gaskets. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help replacing my valve cover gaskets.

tommy boy95

Reaction score
City, State
long island NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport
hey guys and and girls i just got a 95 ford explore and its needs some work im going to do vc gaskets on Monday and was wondering if anyone has and tips on doing this .....and ill try and post some pics of my truck up soon thanks :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you its the 4.0 v6 i tlk to my uncle who is a ford ex man and he sad its a mother to do lol

It is not THAT bad to do...If you are accustomed to working on vehicles...

The passenger side is the easier one to remove..There are a few items that need to be removed to clear space...Vacuum hoses, electrical connections, and the spark plugs wires come to mind...Unbolt the valve cover and slowly remove it from the engine...

The driver side has the distinction of needing the upper plenum of the intake to be removed to get to that valve cover...I can't remember if the EGR valve needs to be removed as well...When the plenum is out of the way. the same ritual as the passenger side needs to be done...Disconnect electrical connections, spark plug wires, and maybe a vacuum line or 2...Then unbolt the valve cover and slowly remove it...

Slowly remove so thatthe gasket will hopefully stay in one piece as much as possible and maybe stay on the valve cover...You will need to remove any chunks that fall into the top of the head and the fewer pieces the better...DO NOT forget to check the drainback holes in the heads for debris...Old gasket and other "stuff"...

I did mine a while back and simply removed what was in the way...And this is coming from memory!!! I have a Ford service manual and if I left out a step, I will add to this later...

thank you i don't think i can ask for a better reply

Valve Cover and Gasket, Ranger and Explorer
Removal

Disconnect negative battery cable.

Drain cooling system.

Disconnect the wiring connectors and locator from the intake air temperature (IAT) and mass air flow (MAF) sensors. Remove the breather hose from the RH valve cover and remove the air cleaner tube.

Remove the accelerator control splash shield. Disconnect the accelerator and speed control cables from the throttle body. Remove the accelerator control bracket with cables attached and position aside.

Disconnect the idle air control (IAC), differential pressure feedback EGR (DPFE) transducer, throttle position sensor (TPS), EGR vacuum regulator (EVR) solenoid electrical connectors and vacuum hoses.

Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose, vacuum connectors from the upper intake manifold and the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve from the LH valve cover.

Disconnect the 42-pin connector and the powertrain control module (PCM) harness locator from the bracket mounted to the under side of intake manifold.

Disconnect the ignition coil electrical connector, locator, and the noise suppressor electrical connector. Disconnect the ignition wires from the spark plugs.

Disconnect the vent line from under the throttle body.

Disconnect the spark plug wires from the seven retaining clips. Remove the two ignition coil bolts from the upper intake manifold and one bolt from RH exhaust manifold. Remove the coil pack with ignition wires as an assembly.

Disconnect the vacuum hose from the EGR valve. Disconnect the EGR tube flange nut from the EGR valve. Remove the EGR valve and gasket. Discard the gasket.

Remove the oil level indicator tube bracket nut and remove the oil level indicator tube and indicator.

Remove the stud retaining the EGR outlet tube bracket to the exhaust manifold. Remove the upper intake manifold and gasket. Discard the gasket. Tape the lower intake manifold openings.

Disconnect the wiring connector from the oil pressure-sending unit and locators. Position harness aside.

Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing. Disconnect the heater hose from the intake manifold. Position the hoses aside.

Remove the LH valve cover (with gasket). Discard the gasket.

Remove the RH valve cover (with gasket). Discard the gasket.

Clean both valve covers.

Installation

NOTE: Apply Silicone Gasket and Sealant F6AZ-19562-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specifications WSE-M4G323-A6 to the intake manifold-to-cylinder head parting seams.

Install the LH and RH valve cover gaskets.

Install the LH valve cover. Tighten the bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

Install the RH valve cover. Tighten the bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

Position harness, and connect the oil pressure-sending unit and locators.

Remove the tape from the lower intake manifold. Install new upper intake manifold seals. Install the upper intake manifold with the EGR outlet tube attached. Tighten the nuts to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft).

Install the EGR outlet tube to exhaust manifold. Tighten stud to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).

Install the oil level indicator tube bracket to EGR bracket stud. Tighten the nut to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft). Install the oil indicator.

Connect the upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing. Connect the heater hose to the intake manifold.

Install the EGR valve with a new gasket to outlet tube bracket. Connect the EGR vacuum line and the inlet tube from the exhaust manifold. Tighten the EGR valve bolts to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft). Tighten the tube nut to 34 Nm (25 lb-ft).

Install the coil pack with ignition wires as an assembly. Tighten the two ignition coil bolts to the upper intake manifold and one bolt on right exhaust manifold to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft). Connect the ignition wires to the seven retaining clips and spark plugs.

Connect the ignition coil electrical connector, locator, and the noise suppressor electrical connector.

Connect the vent line under the throttle body.

Connect the 42-pin connector and the PCM harness locator to the bracket mounted to the under side of intake manifold.

Connect the TPS electrical connector and hoses to the DPFE transducer.

Connect the vacuum hoses to the brake booster, upper intake manifold and the PCV valve to the LH valve cover.

Connect the IAC valve, EVR solenoid wiring connectors and vacuum hoses.

Install the accelerator control bracket to throttle body. Tighten the bolts to 13 Nm (10 lb-ft). Connect the accelerator and speed control cables to the throttle body. Install the accelerator splash shield.

Install the breather hose to the RH valve cover and to the inlet tube and install the assembly. Connect the electrical connectors to the IAT and MAF sensors.

Connect the negative battery cable.

Fill the cooling system.

Start the engine and check for leaks.

i did this job yesterday. it was enduring but doable and time consuming.

one thing i want to add to others' comments is that you don't need to

remove the egr pipe. i tried to disconnect it without success. but it turned out

this job can be done with the egr valve untouched. if you could remove the egr pipe,

you would be able to more easily remove and reinstall the driver side's valve cover.

I just did my 5.0, I guess it's similar to the 4.0. I think I could have done it without removing the EGR, but it's really high risk of breaking or bending something. It wasn't so hard to remove. Instructions say to remove the fitting from the valve but actually it was easier to remove from the manifold. I didn't have a 1-1/16 flare crow's foot handy... After it was out of the vehicle I was able to completely disassemble and clean up the fittings so that it was easy to reassemble.

i did the whole lower intake set so i have had the whole top off, and i would say, taking off the upper intake would make this job way easier,,
207529_10150495788560165_6210828_n.jpg

it clears alot of stuff out of the way to get the bolts out easier,,

Im getting ready to tackle this on my 01 sport. Hope it goes well!:thumbsup:

Valve Cover and Gasket, Ranger and Explorer
Removal

Disconnect negative battery cable.

Drain cooling system.

Fill the cooling system.

Why empty the cooling system for a valve cover gasket?

Why empty the cooling system for a valve cover gasket?

I'm going to guess because coolant flows through the intake manifold.

Does it on V6? Because on V8 it doesn't.
The only coolant reference I see is:
Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing. Disconnect the heater hose from the intake manifold. Position the hoses aside.
On V8 I have plenty of space with the T-stat in place.

PS: I am asking because I need to do the gaskets on my V8 eventually.

Back