My first attempt at automotive painting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My first attempt at automotive painting

Success. I bought a 98 Civic in June (you may remember my commuter car saga thread ) and it had previously been in a small accident and had a replacement black bumper and hood. The hood was primer and was pretty gross. Everything would stick to it, from bird crap to fingerprints, and it looked like hell. I finally got to painting it this weekend with the help my my father and grandfather. It came out great. The paint match was PERFECT, thanks to Automotivetouchup.com. I HIGHLY recommend these guys. I threw in my paint code, and they factory matched it nearly perfectly. I brought the car to my father's in Jersey to use his garage and we worked on it there. Below are an excessive amount of pictures for your enjoyment.

Overall, I am thrilled with the finished job. The paint isn't as smooth and perfect as a factory job, because it's damn near impossible to keep all dust and grit from falling into the paint (it was windy as hell today, too). Also, being that this was my first shot at something like this, I could have done a better job - there are are slight "orange peel" spots, but I should be able to buff them out with a little polishing compound in a few days. It's not perfect, but I could NOT have asked for a better paint match, honestly. Automotivetouchup.com NAILED it, and like I said, I highly recommend their product.

Here's the original condition of the hood. That's my grandfather next to the car - the painting legend himself.

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

Closeup of the mess:

Paint3.jpg

Step 1: Wash and wet sand with 1000 grit sandpaper (hood) and 600 grit (bumper)

Paint4.jpg

Paint5.jpg

Paint6.jpg

Step 2: Pull it into the painting bay (garage with tarps) and mask that sucker.

Paint7.jpg

Step 3: Start the basecoat application. We used 3 total coats.

Paint8.jpg

Paint9.jpg

Paint10.jpg

Step 4: Apply clearcoat. We used 2 total coats.

Paint11.jpg

Step 5: Let it dry, unmask it, and enjoy.

The finished product:

Paint12.jpg

Paint13.jpg

Paint14.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks great coming from a rattle can! :thumbsup: Watching those shows like "Trucks" and "Muscle Car", they make painting look so easy. But damn its hard. Nice job.

Damn man, that looks great you did a really nice job with it.

WHOA. Was not expecting a rattle can job. LOOKS GREAT :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

wow, definite was not not expecting that look coming from a rattle can,

very nice!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How come you get the cartridge respirator and grandpa only gets a dust mask? :p:

Nice job. Want to come paint my GF's motorhome? :D

Thanks guys. It's not perfect like I said, but for $80 worth of paint it came out damn good, and I feel like I've got a brand new car and I loved getting the experience and another skill under my belt. I wonder how much smoother/easier it would've been with a gun - maybe next time.

And grandpa only got the dust mask because he's pretty much invincible. The cartridge mask was for the mere mortals in the room. :D

good work jason

Fantastic work - and good looking Civic (except for the headlights :p:)

Wowzers.... I am also uber-impressed by the rattle can job. We've got a local paint shop that sells color-match paint in a spray can that I've been hesitant to try. But it looks like I'm sold. I just might have to quit hating my accord for being so ugly from having been backed in to several times (that's what I get for living in a college town for a while) and just paint some stuff.

How many rattle-cans did you go through and how much coverage did you get from each one? I've got a hood and two bumpers that could use some paint and I'm trying to figure out how much to purchase. It's been years since I've sprayed in a booth and don't have any real equipment so the rattle can may be the way to go since I don't want to sink a whole lot of money in to my honda after having just replaced the motor...

Fantastic work - and good looking Civic (except for the headlights :p:)

Thanks man. Don't hate on the headlights though! They came with the car but I actually like them. I IMMEDIATELY ditched the euro/altezza taillights and went back to the stock ones, though. Hate those things.

How many rattle-cans did you go through and how much coverage did you get from each one? I've got a hood and two bumpers that could use some paint and I'm trying to figure out how much to purchase. It's been years since I've sprayed in a booth and don't have any real equipment so the rattle can may be the way to go since I don't want to sink a whole lot of money in to my honda after having just replaced the motor...

I went through 3 cans of base and 2 cans of clear. I think I would've been better off with 4 cans of base, to be honest, because I went through ALL of the 3, down to fumes, and was nervous about not having enough. If you have a hood and TWO bumped instead of one, I'd probably suggest 5 cans of base and 3-4 cans of clear.

How many cans of beer? Nothing like paint fumes and a few cans of good quality brew.

And the world keeps spinnin, and spinnin, and spinnin.....

Do some color sanding and buffing and you might be able to get some of those imperfections out. Whatever the case, looks great.

Wow, very nice job. This is the second rattle can job with in the last week that came out looking great. You guys keep suprising me with your results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man. Don't hate on the headlights though! They came with the car but I actually like them. I IMMEDIATELY ditched the euro/altezza taillights and went back to the stock ones, though. Hate those things.

So hard to find this GIF anymore...

104710_262.gif

Back