• Register Today It's free!

My 2012 Ford Explorer Limited

NY1PR2012

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
This is my 2012 Ford Explorer Limited in the White Platinum Tri Coat with the 3.5L V6 4WD with the Medium Light Stone Interior and the Equipment Group -302 A.
I purchased this Explorer on September 2011 and I have been doing a lot of upgrades by Installing the Roof Rack Cross Bars,Ford OEM Mud Guards,Large Size Cargo Organizer, Cargo Net and the latest upgrade have been Installing the "Dee Zee" NXc Running Boards. I have also ordered the Shark Fin Antenna Mark II from Visual Garage which should be arriving at the end of this month.

For those who are interested in knowing the model number for the running boards, they are made by Dee Zee and the model number is DZ16202. They are the Black Boards with Chrome Trim. You will also need to order the Intallation Brace Kit #DZ 16221 because the Running Boards do not come with the Installation Kit. They are made exactly for the 2011 and 2012 Ford Explorer and they do not required any drilling. I installed them myself and it took me only 1 hour.

The Running Boards are also available in "Black Boards with the Black Trim"(DZ 16201) and "Stainless Steel Board with the Black Trim"(DZ 16203).
Here is the link,
http://www.deezee.com/

I have taken a few pictures so you can see my gorgeous explorer and the way the running boards look. Please feel free to send me an email with any questions.

Best Regards,
Carlos.

DSC04476.jpg

DSC04478.jpg

DSC04480.jpg

DSC04481.jpg

DSC04484.jpg

DSC04485.jpg

DSC04475.jpg

DSC04450.jpg

DSC04448.jpg

DSC04470.jpg

DSC04467.jpg

DSC04457.jpg

DSC04455.jpg

DSC04461.jpg

DSC04473-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice. I like the running boards.

Those running boards are sharp!

That is the style that I prefer over the nerf tubes. One question... Would it be possible to still install the OEM mudflaps? Looks like a 'no' from the pics, but wanted to confirm.

Nice looking ride :)

Happy driving!

Looks very sharp!
You got front tint added and running boards, you should post in the modified section.
Any future plans for it?

Can you take an angled overhead picture with the doors open? Like pictures 5,6,9, but with the doors open. Would like to see the depth better.

Nicely done, really like the color combo. Is that 35% or 20% tint on 2 fronts?

Hi VinceL, Yes, you can install the OEM Mud Flaps with these running boards. If you look closely to my photos you will see that i have the oem Ford mud flaps installed on my Explorer and I had them installed before installing the running boards. The OEM Ford Mud Flaps do not interfere with the installation of the running boards in any way.

Isntalling the DeeZee running boards was very easy. All you need is a 13 millimiter socket or rachet wrench. The instructions say that you will need a tape measure as well but i never used mine. I didnt see the need for it. There is only 4 brackets to be installed (2 on each side ) and the Explorer had already built in the holes where the bracket screws go into it.

Hi EX-SV, thanks for your nice words. The window tint done in the front to match the rear windows is 20%.

Hi Cnsheets, next time i have chance I will take more pictures with all the doors open. It is going to snow today and tomorrow here in NewYork and then it is going to rain the next few days so as soon as it clears i wil take more pictures and post them here at the forum.

Hi Cnsheets, next time i have chance I will take more pictures with all the doors open. It is going to snow today and tomorrow here in NewYork and then it is going to rain the next few days so as soon as it clears i wil take more pictures and post them here at the forum.

Thank you. I would appreciate it. Another option, take a trip down the coast to sunny Florida, take a few snapshots and head back :)

hmm, just noticed that for the 2012 they shortened the pull strap on the back of the third row seats instead of the long 2 foot strap with velcro that doesn't stick.

This is a Youtube video of my 2012 Ford Explorer. I apologize for the little shaking of the camera. It was 17 degrees that morning and with the wind chill it felt like 5 degrees and my hand was cold.

I will try to get a better video next time.

Here is the link,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ffodxp9NVo

I read that you included the cargo net as part of your upgrades. Did you have to purchase it? Mine was included with the vehicle and is still nicely wrapped up and stuck in the the passenger door compartment where it was when I picked the Ex up last March.

Hi VinceL, Yes, you can install the OEM Mud Flaps with these running boards. If you look closely to my photos you will see that i have the oem Ford mud flaps installed on my Explorer and I had them installed before installing the running boards. The OEM Ford Mud Flaps do not interfere with the installation of the running boards in any way.

Isntalling the DeeZee running boards was very easy. All you need is a 13 millimiter socket or rachet wrench. The instructions say that you will need a tape measure as well but i never used mine. I didnt see the need for it. There is only 4 brackets to be installed (2 on each side ) and the Explorer had already built in the holes where the bracket screws go into it.

Oh yeah, I see them now, duh! :) That's awesome. Looks like we found our running boards when we get ours.

Thanks for the info!

Happy driving.

Hi Peterk9, You are absolutely right. My cargo net also came with the Explorer when it was purchased. The upgrades that I have done so far since purchasing the Explorer have been,

1. Tinted the front windows @ 20% to match the rest of the truck windows.
2. Installed the OEM Mud Guards.
3. Purchased the OEM Roof Cross Bars and Installed them myself
4. Purchased the OEM Cargo Cover, Cargo Organizer and Wheel Locks
5. Purchased The Dee Zee Running Boards and Installed them myself
6. Contacted Visual Garage in Canada and ordered my Shark Fin Antenna MK II painted White Platinum Tri Coat to match the exact color of the Explorer.(it should be here by the end of January)

The next thing that I may do is to change the OEM Fog lights for either Xenon HID Fog Light (bulbs only) or Bright White LED lights. I have both sets but I have not being able to install them because I will need to put the Explorer on ramps because when I tried to get under the truck since my truck is equiped with the towing package there is like a secondary spolier with an opening for the air dam which makes the front lower than the regular Explorer without the towing package.

Once I am able to get the lights on I will post some pictures.

Regards to all,

Carlos

Hi Peterk9, You are absolutely right. My cargo net also came with the Explorer when it was purchased. The upgrades that I have done so far since purchasing the Explorer have been,

1. Tinted the front windows @ 20% to match the rest of the truck windows.
2. Installed the OEM Mud Guards.
3. Purchased the OEM Roof Cross Bars and Installed them myself
4. Purchased the OEM Cargo Cover, Cargo Organizer and Wheel Locks
5. Purchased The Dee Zee Running Boards and Installed them myself
6. Contacted Visual Garage in Canada and ordered my Shark Fin Antenna MK II painted White Platinum Tri Coat to match the exact color of the Explorer.(it should be here by the end of January)

The next thing that I may do is to change the OEM Fog lights for either Xenon HID Fog Light (bulbs only) or Bright White LED lights. I have both sets but I
have not being able to install them because I will need to put the Explorer on ramps because when I tried to get under the truck since my truck is equiped with the towing package there is like a secondary spolier with an opening for the air dam which makes the front lower than the regular Explorer without the towing package.

Once I am able to get the lights on I will post some pictures.
Regards to all,

Carlos

NY looks sweet, we have twins, the answer to your fog lite swap, H11 5000k, I have a pic posted in the mod section with new lights and I have the chrome stainless nerfs. I like your Steps also. Great post

Great looking Explorer. The white is a great color. Would have selected that color, but 2 of my four cars are already white. Kids would not let me have 3 of 4!

How are your side running boards in the snow? Do they cause an excessive amount of snow & ice build up underneath?

I really don't think this new design needs running boards, unless you have really young kids. For elderly people, it hard to get into an SUV with or without running boards, IMO.

Again, looks great! Nice job.

Looks great, my ex being the same color I now have a spring project to consider.
Do you have a rough break out how much these subtle mods costs, sound as though you handled the labor yourself.

Hi Bill, I think that the White Platinum Tri Coat is the color that best brings out the Explorer. Not to take anything away from the other colors since my previous explorers and Expeditions have been other colors except white.

I haven't been able to try the running boards on snow because it has not snow here in New York this year although as I am writing this there is snow falling down here today and the we are expecting around 3-5 inches today. Will let you know if I take out the Explorer today. She is nice and warm inside the garage!!

And you are right about the fact that the Explorer looks very nice even without running boards but there are two reasons why I ended up getting them. The main one is that my wife is 5'2" and she is expecting and I noticed that she was having a little difficulty getting in the truck so I decided to make it easier for her. She was so happy to see that I installed the running boards. I am almost 6'2' so for me its a breeze getting in the truck but I also like running boards (nice looking ones that is) so that was the second reason.

I searched the internet at many websites just to look at different running boards and making sure to pick the right ones and most of all the ones that were specially made for this truck and the ones that you do not need to do any drilling at all. I think they look really nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't been able to try the running boards on snow because it has not snow here in New York this year although as I am writing this there is snow falling down here today and the we are expecting around 3-5 inches today.
The main one is that my wife is 5'2" and she is expecting and I noticed that she was having a little difficulty getting in the truck so I decided to make it easier for her. She was so happy to see that I installed the running boards. I am almost 6'2' so for me its a breeze getting in the truck but I also like running boards (nice looking ones that is) so that was the second reason.
I agree that it is a very sharp looking Explorer. I can see the reasoning in getting the running boards but my only concern would be that if you don't use them when gettng out of the vehicle, you would more than likely be rubbing your pant legs on them, would you not? On the rear view photo are your rear relectors lit up or does it just look like it?
Nice job and great pics.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back