• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack

biggon71

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I was looking into a roof rack (sometimes called roof basket) to put on my mounty. I want the basket not just the bars. I want the ones that bolt onto the existing bars and I will want to easily mount lights onto it.

So what do yall think is the best for the money for what im looking for. I want it cheap but I want it to last.

Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the one i bought off ebay $125shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOF-RACK-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae51acf78&vxp=mtr

I had originally bought one from prince auto but it was crap. This one is ridiculously stronger, me and my gf have sat in it together (300lbs). Comes in two parts, easily put together with bolts and mounts to existing roof cross members. I have had it for a year with a lot of abuse, and shows to signs of wear thus far. I mount my high lift, shovel and axe to it using quick fists. The front is angled and has bars which would be easy to mount lights too, there is also an extension to make it longer but it already holds 4 tubs/coolers or a whole bunch of firewood!

This is my first attempt at posting pics so hopefully it works, btw my roof lights aren't mounted to the basket, they are mounted to a third cross member

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

Thanks a ton, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Same here, do you have any more pics or close ups of it mounting to your roof? Along with your lights?

got this one on ebay for 100 bucks:
P1060005.jpg

P1050920.jpg

this is a close up of the bottom of it, how it clamps to the roof rails. the cable is my cb antenna.
P1020776.jpg

it works awesome
010-1.jpg

I snapped some pics earlier today, I will post them tonight if I remember

Mounting and quickfist
IMG_4309.jpg

Close up
IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

100watts each, Drilled through and bolted
IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

The ubolts stick up a bit, just haven't have time to chop them down.

Definitely dig it!!!!

Thank you, both roof rack and lights are from ebay

I ended up finding a yakima loadwarrior and 4 piaa 580s on craigslist. The best part is I got everything for only $140. The rack is on and the lights are mounted but are in the process of being wired in.

Nice find! Add some pics when you get a chance

hey im looking to do something similar with my explorer. Im new to this stuff, so how many roof rails would i need for holding the roof rack and the lights?

this is the one i bought off ebay $125shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/roof-rack-c...parts_accessories&hash=item5ae51acf78&vxp=mtr

i had originally bought one from prince auto but it was crap. This one is ridiculously stronger, me and my gf have sat in it together (300lbs). Comes in two parts, easily put together with bolts and mounts to existing roof cross members. I have had it for a year with a lot of abuse, and shows to signs of wear thus far. I mount my high lift, shovel and axe to it using quick fists. The front is angled and has bars which would be easy to mount lights too, there is also an extension to make it longer but it already holds 4 tubs/coolers or a whole bunch of firewood!

This is my first attempt at posting pics so hopefully it works, btw my roof lights aren't mounted to the basket, they are mounted to a third cross member

img_2460.jpg

img_2453.jpg

img_2352.jpg

img_2351.jpg

if you dont mind me asking whats under the bag in the gate??

hey im looking to do something similar with my explorer. Im new to this stuff, so how many roof rails would i need for holding the roof rack and the lights?

I have 3 rails. 2 hold the roof rack and 1 for all the lights.

The bag is a Trasharoo http://www.trasharoo.com/iWeb/TRASHAROO%20/About.html

I think you mean in the bag. I use it to carry wood to wherever im going. once its unpack I start filling it with my junk. Its super convenient, because its out of the way plus i carry recovery stuff on the outside so its easy to get to. If you do mean under the bag there's nothing under it.

I snapped some pics but am not sure on how to attach them to the post. any help?

Either through attachments or photobucket.com

Photobucket is probably best. Just copy the link from the right side of the picture and post. I think there's actually a thread somewhere about how to do it haha

Here it is. I would cut on the roof lights but they are not wired in yet :D

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

i have 3 rails. 2 hold the roof rack and 1 for all the lights.

The bag is a trasharoo http://www.trasharoo.com/iweb/trasharoo%20/about.html

i think you mean in the bag. I use it to carry wood to wherever im going. Once its unpack i start filling it with my junk. Its super convenient, because its out of the way plus i carry recovery stuff on the outside so its easy to get to. If you do mean under the bag there's nothing under it.

hahah yea i though it was like a tarp covering somthing. Thats prity cool. Thanks for the info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Biggon71. I like the look of it and got the same brush guard. It looks good,

Back