Solid axle on a 98? lizardtrac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid axle on a 98? lizardtrac

Twin D-60's / 98 sport - - Lizardtrac

lookin for some ideas. Im doing a swap with a dana 44 with f-250 ends, I might need a little insight on this, has anyone ever done one of these new ones? hmm that would be cool... being the first... any warnings, insight, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

chris

Change in plans, twin D-60 are goin in.... much stronger, and more reliable for what I want to do with the truck, I think the 44 will snap axles too much.... pics soon to come!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is some dude with a red Ranger now its camo that has done this. I will have to see if I can find the links.

actually I didn't search for it. I was browsing therangerstation.com and was looking at solid axle rangers. Then I remember that camo 98 ranger.

98 Sport dana44 swap underway.

Well here goes nuttin... got the axle, and startin to build it, full documentation and pics will be posted on my website ( www.extremexplorers.com ) as I progress into this huge project...... the beast is soon to come....

wow. you dont waste any time (think up a project, then start it a week later). i want to check out your explorer the next time i visit my mom (she lives in Nutley).

got a question.... coils or leafs? I was thinking the leafs as I dont even have coil mounts on the truck now, it would be a hell of alot easier I feel if I did it with leafs up front..... it would cut down the cost as well as the down time of the truck, what do ya think?????

Lizardtrac, i PM'd you a while ago, but you never responded, i was wondering whwat you did to the front to compensate for the SOA in the rear, or does it sit higher in the rear now? there are planty ways i thought of, but i was curious to see waht you did, please let me know.

Originally posted by lizardtrac
got a question.... coils or leafs? I was thinking the leafs as I dont even have coil mounts on the truck now, it would be a hell of alot easier I feel if I did it with leafs up front..... it would cut down the cost as well as the down time of the truck, what do ya think?????
hmmm.... thats a good question, id say whichever one give you more flex, and that would probably be coils. but whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Yomie: the rear is sitting higher then the front now, there arent too many ways to lift the front with torsion suspension, this is y im going for a SAS.

TarHeel085: Im leaning more towards leafs, its tougher and not as easy to break, and like I said, a hell of a lot easier to install being that I have torsions now. but I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of leafs b4 I proceed.

Advantage of Leaf springs:
1. easier to install
2. less overall parts= less cost & less to break
3. can flex just as good as coils
4. lighter

Disadvantage:
1. slightly rougher ride :rolleyes:

Mr. Boyle, I think some would refute your point about leafs flexing as well as coils.

Lizardtrac, how do you plan to compensate for the design of your frame?

How big are you going to be??

I was searching today at the BRONCOGRAVEYARD.COM, they have a "bolt on" axle swap kit for a F250 but the way I see it, we, new generation explorer guys, will have to go at least 8" or 10" higher to fit the solid axle down the frame, and get all the articulation that spring or coils whatever you get, would give you...

I am really interested in your mod, I don't know anyone willing to be the first, and do this with his bare hands...!!:eek: :eek:

I think that in the rear you will have to get a new spring package, maybe longer ones to get higher, and if you are planning to get 35 or bigger I think you will have to think about gears too....

:bounce: Come on Chris get the solid axle done quickly, there is people waiting here!!:bounce:

Let us know all your steps please!!

Originally posted by Jason_25
Mr. Boyle, I think some would refute your point about leafs flexing as well as coils.

Jason, you don't spend much time watching rock crawlers do you? I have seen Jeeps w/ 4 leafs out flex many coil setups. I have also seen it the other way as well. It all comes down to design, spring rate and clearance. In Lizardtrac's case I feel the leafs would work just a well as coils and the amount of work necessary to mount the coils would far outweigh any advantage they may have over a leaf spring setup.

I would say stay with leafs too. They are a lot easier to adjust and mount.

hey Lizard do you have the mono leaf back there, is there any problems with doing a SOA with the mono leaf, and also lizard how much lift did you get with the SOA if you got a mono leaf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yomie, no I got rid of the mono's a while ago, they were too weak, but if you did a SOA with the monos, you can do a SOA with monos, and you probably would get near to the same lift cause of the plates on the bottom of the monos, the only lift difference would be in the actual strength of the leaf. I got about 5-6" lift with the SOA alone, and goin to make up the difference in the front with the SAS w/leafs.

I think as the end results..... leafs it is, I have been weighing out all the pros and cons and it just seems to be more trouble free, more stronger, less to break, easier to set up, cheaper, and easier to mantain and repair.
I had leafs in my 79 K-5 and the ride aint that bad, and it took quite a beating, but never broke, or had any problems.
leafs are just very siimple, strait foward and to the point, just as much flex, and less to worry about, and oh yeah, easier to fix on the trail!!!!

Back