Not open for further replies.

andrew18816

Reaction score
City, State
miramar florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt
hey wuts up everyone?

i found out actually i went to my buddys shop here in florida called prestons car and truck accesories. there was this kids explorer there that they were getting 4 inchs of drop out of it. but u need 20s for some odd reason. they told me that they flip something and its not the toursion bar eather its something else. they said it has to do with something near the wheel because u need a 20 inch rim to do it. so i guess i decided to tell u guys that bye.:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mount the spindle upside down?

I have no idea about the IFS stuff but thats seems logical, no??

i could even really remember wut he was talkin about he was saying something about the thing behind the brake system u can flip it and it will lower the front 4 inchs. i dunno if thats tru or not but i saw some kids explorer over there with 4 inchs of drop with 20s and it looked sweet. i just dont know the name of the piece behind the brake with the ball joints on it. he told me u can just flip it and it will lower u 4 inchs i dunno if its tru but i really dunno

yeah thats wut it was he said flip the spindles and it will lower the truck 4 inchs but for some reason he said that i have to get 20s wuts up with that. i really dont understand y he was saying something about the wheels wouldnt stick out far enough and if i got a flat i wouldnt be able to get it off. so i dunno

also can i just use the stock rims or no because i dont wanna go out and spend 2000 dollars on rims thats kinda crazy

You'd have to flip the spindle, send the right one to the left side and right to the left, but then you'd have to find a way to but the upper ball joint on the lower control arms and the lower ball joint on the upper control arms....

Why you would need 20's though is beyong me because the spindle size doesn't change.

That would be for 2nd gen, what year was that explorer?

Hmm I'm close to there....any chance I can go take a look at that?

The 20's is probably recommended just for looks. I am pretty sure he is talking about flipping the Tortion Bars although you did say it isn't it but you probably heard wrong. I don't know.

If you could flip the spindles then, WOW! That would be a whole new ball game for us Street Guys.

Like BM said, we need more info. Better yet PICTURES!

I've never heard of any one doing anything to the spindle lower an explorer. You couldn't just flip the spindle over, it wouldnt work like that. What he might have been talking about is the torsion bar cam. I've heard of people flipping that upside down so they can lower it more. But what do i know, i'm one of those stupid offroad guys. :p

ok i talked to this guy last nite im gonna have him do it on my truck but i talked to a different person this time around. he told me it has nothing to do with toursion twists or anything he said they do flip the spindle they just do some customization to it. and put smaller ball joints on it. i guess im gonna have to wait for my truck to get outa the shop he said its gonna take him about a day or two to get my truck into the shop then a day to get it out. the people over there are like custom fabricators for them selfs because they dont do many catalog orders unless the person really really wants them to. but he said my truck is still gonna ride like new. i guess ill get pictures asap ttyl peace

Go there and stay with your truck and take pictures as they do the work! If you don't have a camera. Some that is near you could go too!

yeah ill be sure to try to do my best i really have no way down there because they have my truck right now sitting on the lift but they cant work on it till like sunday or monday they said. so ill try to get over there and take as many pix as possible that i can aight ttyl peace

I have an idea bout the 20"s

Im assuming that when he said "you need 20's or if you get a flat you wont be able to get the tire off" is because when you lower the front that much, all the frame and lower components are closer to the ground, so if you get a flat with a 16" rim after lowering it, you cant get a jack under there and your bumper might even get crushed on the ground, so you need 20"s to keep enough height to fit a jack under there

that sounds logical right :D

i dont know why ive never thought of this, but i think it will work, and yes you would need 20's (i guess). im thinking-

flip the spindles over and swap sides. driver side spindle upside down on the passenger side and vice-versa. i would assume you would have to have the tie rod holes cut for a different tie rod, and run some kind of different ball joints. thing is, it would give a factory ride, factory alignment, etc. just like a spindle drop.

you would need big wheels because a lowering spindle places the inside of the wheel lip closer to the lower control arm. i would assume a 4" drop spindle (basically what you will be making) would require at least an 18..... probably a 20 like he said. example- most 2" drop spindles on 2wd chevies need a 16" or bigger wheel, or the wheel will rub the lower control arm (or not bolt on at all).

ill be damned....... i never thought of it, but it makes sense.

edit- when you talk to them, ask them EXACTLY what needs to be modified and exaclty how they do it, please. :)

i just talked to them right now for u guys they told me they need to get new ball joints and they do swap the sides. the guy said for now if i wanna i can use the stock 16 inch rims if i really wanted to because wut it will do like he said it will be to hard to get a jack under it unless i drive it onto some board and take the wheel off. he also told me that the drop would look really nice he said really low though he said i gotta watch out. he also told me it still gives me the stock ride stock everything all they did was swapped the sides and just flipped it and that was it with new balljoints so i guess i should be getting it back like tuesday im guessing and ill send pix out aight ttyl bye

if you could, next time you talk to him, find out EXACLTY what balljoints they used. thanks. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he told me there using the energy suspension ball joints he said those r the only ones that will work he also told me something if u wanna go even lower which he doesnt think i should. i could always un twist the toursion bolts and get more outa it. he said i could get 4 to 6 inchs and that would be sweet lol. i guess put a message in the forum. bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back