03 awd explorer turbo build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 awd explorer turbo build

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and am going to start a turbo build soon for my truck. I'm wanting to do this for different reasons. First I have a 4.0 and yes I know someone is gonna say drop a v8...so in advance thanks but no thanks lol
Don't want to deal with the swap. I have read jakees thread only on here that had good info but haven't found anything else. But am hoping this will be a go to thread with extensive info specifically for a third gen. This isn't going to happen overnight but do plan to have everything done hopefully in 6 months from the time I get to pick your guys brains and start a parts list besides the turbo kit. I would like to know what other components. Injector size??fuel pump,boost a pump?? Spark plugs??? Programmable tuner?? Thanks for your knowledge and give you guys 100% no matter what this will happen!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh also guys this is another reason for this thread to make it different is this will be a budget based build. I know this won't be cheap but I will list all the prices for parts I'm using once a parts list is made up. I will be making a ebay remote style turbo kit. Need info on anybody metal intake manifolds also. I'm not paying almost a grand for morana when I have a guy that will make a custom one for around $600 bucks thanks again guys

Pulled out the spare tire and removed the receiver assembly underneath the rear of the truck. I have some pictures but can't figure out how to upload them. I've been looking at certain factors and am going to relocate location of the turbo to underhood. After looking at the stock exhaust the passenger side header pipe goes across to the driver side which I will follow up to the driver side front. To do this I will need to relocate the battery. The battery will be moved inside the truck. Also will possibly be moving the power steering reservoir a little bit out of the way if needed. I'm buying about 15 feet of zero gauge wire to relocate the battery hopefully this weekend. Like I said I will be taking pictures and prices.also have decided to run a china 35r Godspeed turbo on this build.

I am going to get some qoutes for a custom intake manifold tomorrow going to be in the range of $500 to $600 range. If anyone has some knowledge in figuring out somthing as a upgrade manifold specifically for turbo. I want to start with 10 psi max boost for now until I have money for more upgrades.
My local lkq you pick you pull has used injectors for $9.99 and a $1.50 core for old ones. I plan to only upgrade my injectors to 39# cobra motor.
$60.00 bucks for six and getting charge $30.00 bucks to have them cleaned and tested. Total of $90.00 for the upgrade. My truck is flex fuel so I believe on 10 lbs of boost I will be fine for the time being on a stock pump. I imagine being able to shoot more fuel with e85 the pump might be different not sure but feel free to chime in. Also found a ebay intercooler with piping kit for $150 shipped.
Currently looking for just a waste gate and blow off valve kit. I plan to cut off the exhaust at the y and do a 180 turn and run back up the driver side engine compartment. I'm going to run the turbo exhaust out of the drivers fender.
I have my own small paint and body shop and plan to do this truck for advertisement reason but also because I want somthing different. Anyways
I have a friend that does mufflers and can weld me about a two foot upside down letter j type exhaust for the turbo for $200.00 bucks. Another friend of mine has a Godspeed 35r turbo for $150 but I want to see the price on a new one threw a tuner friend of mine first. The used once maybe has 100 miles on it so not a bad deal.

Sounds like your well on your way.
Under hood id definitely preferable as a mounting location, so you are well on your way.

Im not to familiar with the space under the hood, but are you sure there is room to run the exhaust back up to the front from the rear of the motor, then exiting the Turbo and around the front of the motor again to the back?

I wonder if SOHC shorty headers (or stock manifolds) would flip from left to right, and from right to left making the exhaust on both sides exit the front of the motor? This might help the limited space.

The battery will be relocated to the back cargo space? Something about that idea made me nervous as its in the passenger cabin. I'm not sure if you need a battery box with venting to the outside?

Sounds like you have the tuning under control. Most here have used SCT as the device of choice.

There have been a couple rear mount turbo 4.0 sohc's here, I'm interested to see how you handle the front plumbing and space constraints under the hood. Ive seen quite a few builds that there isn't room for an air filter, so a screen is used. Probably not great for longevity of a motor.

Your right, we all need to see pics as you go.

Welcome to the site!

It sure

I don't think you'll have any issues running the factory intake manifold up to 10psi. A 4.0 ranger intake manifold would swap in with slight mods and will flow way better for a turbo setup as it has much shorter runners.

Hey dono and boomin!!!

Dono::: yes the piping will be the challenge but I believe it can be done with some moving of things and cutting lol. Now as far as being able to flip a header that's interesting and will need to do some research on that possibly at the u pull junkyard lol. Also I'm wanting to get a sct since everyone here uses them. Which model of sct is sufficient and cheapest???

Boomin:: I'm interested in the ranger manifold is there a specific year intake manifold or all 4.0 sohc rangers have the same??? What modifications would need to be done to make it fit??

So I was at my shop today and had some time to work on the truck today.
I took off the front bumper cover and started cleaning up space in that area because I will be mounting the intercooler in the center front bumper grille area.
First I removed the front impact/crash bar. Then I removed the air dam that runs from behind the grille down into the front bumper center grille. You guys wouldn't believe how much space those two things alone opened up. I was going to start trimming the inside of the front bumper cover for more space but then a dealership I do work for dropped off two side by sides that need clean and details tomorrow....might do some donuts before I clean them lol
Anyways I will hopefully get the front bumper inside trimmed up this week.
I need to get this battery relocated before I can start moving things and making space for the turbo and piping. The 3 main reasons I want to mount the turbo up front is 1. By mounting the turbo higher then the oil pan I can have the turbo feed back to the oil pan by gravity and not need a oil pump.
2. Way shorter lines for oil to the turbo..those good lines ain't cheap.
3.by running piping for the turbo starting at the y it will remove the cats and the rest of the exhaust running to the back of the truck which would be I would think 50 lbs lighter with all the exhaust removed.

I took pictures of the work in progress and some of the weight reduction/part pulling lol but still can't figure out how to post from my cell phone.

I don't think anyone would ever question the wisdom of installing the turbo up front. Its the best way for many reasons, including performance.
Unfortunately, going front mount requires more fabrication skills on the exhaust, and that's something many of us don't have, and paying for it is prohibitive to a hobbyist.

Getting a hole in the oil pan above the oil line for oil return will be a challenge also.
One step at a time, and you will get it done.

This will be an interesting build.

Been busy at work and truck is breaking down lol

My thermostat housing is leaking and just had a front wheel bearing go bad.
This has set me back time wise on my build but I did manage to continue my weight reduction. Deleted the rear wiper arm and motor assembly. Also pulled the carpet out and scraped off all the sound deadener on the floor and around the center console. I made a photobucket let me know if this link works.
http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/jonfig08/library/Mobile Uploads?sort=3&page=1

Yea, keeping up with the regular maintenance on our older vehicles can be a full time job, never mind the modifying.

I uploaded two pictures of the bad wheel bearings. I bought them a year ago from advanced auto and after $260.00 for two bearings the bearings started falling out lol. No go for the advances bearings my pictures are proof 18 months after purchase lol

Back