17's or not??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17's or not???

A buddy of mine has a set of 285/70/17 MT/R's at a great price and I was wondering if it would be worth investing in 17" rimmed tire? I would need to get a set of rims and was wondering if Gen III rims would fit or would I have to go after market. Also because the tires are used, 1/2 trend I am going to have to replace them in the near future and they are about $50 more a tire compared to 285/75/16's. My goal is to be able to play in the woods and not so much on the street. Help! :confused:

it would look good... but if i was going to offroad it and tear it up i'd stick with 16" wheels or step down to 15's. simply cuz its cheaper. its tempting cuz u can get a deal on tires for 17" rims but u need the 17" rims = $$$ plus u'll need new tires soon = more $$$ do u have the money to not worry about the extra cost? can u afford to tear up a 17" rim or tire?

The thing is I already have a set of 32x11.50R15 MT/R's at home but don't 15" rims for them. I also want to try to do a brake upgrade where I install larger rotors and calipers and all that jazz so that is why I was thinking about the 17's. In the end I want to go full width and run 37's on 17" MT/R's pf couse but that is not going to be for a while

i'd buy some cheap steel wheel 15's for the tires u have... its the cheapest thing u can do. keep stock brakes now or upgrade the rotors but still keep stock size. they will work fine. if yer going to eventually swap axles to full size/ full width u'll have yer brake upgrade right there. y spend time and money on something u dont plan on keeping?

Back