1991 Explorer factory amp questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer factory amp questions.

hemigod

Reaction score
City, State
Cannelton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I own a 91 Explorer XLT 4X4. I installed a Pioneer CD player and it has the JBL factory front and rear door speakers and the rear factory amp and sub. My question is about the little factory amp, what is the rms power rating for it and how many channels is it? 1 or 3? Do the rear door speakers run through it? Does the amp have a built in crossover for the sub and rear speakers to separate the lows, mids and highs from the rear door speakers and the sub or is there one wired inline somewhere between the CD player and the amp?

I'm thinking of making some changes to the stereo system since I have 2 sets of everything. I also own a 94 Eddie Bauer with the same factory setup. Any help is appreciated.

two seperate amps, one for your 4 door speakers one for your sub...not sure of the power of amp but less than any modern aftermarket head unit. only the sub amp is crossed over. all my explorers have had the POS JBL systems, its the first thing i deal with, specially seeing i`m a car audio installer. i find it most effective to run new wires to all four speaker locations, and new speakers and head unit, rather than incorperating the factory amp. hope this is helpful

Thank you sir for the info. I read on here somewhere that the amps ratings where something like 40 x 4 for the door speakers and 85 x 1 for the subs.

Back