1999 Explorer Transmission issue help sought | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Transmission issue help sought

snpower

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Baur XLT
1999 Eddie Bauer, 5 speed auto trans., 71,000 miles:

For several years the transmission has hesitated when upshifting and recently the problem has gotten worse. Shifting has become hard/jerky as well as delayed, and occasionally it will downshift one gear unexpectedly. These problems normally occur between second and third gear - I have not seen anything abnormal at highway speeds. I beleive it is worse when the vehicle is cold.

I have had the truck into AAMCO. They told me it was not a mechanical issue, but an electrical one. I had my Ford dealer look at it, and they said everything checked out and if there was no light on (the dash panel), then there was nothing wrong. Any advice ?:mad:

I don't have the 5 speed but my 4 speed (which is pretty much the same except for not having overdrive kick in to get 2nd, 1st, 1st+od, 2nd, so and so) But mine did slip and not shift between my 2nd and 3rd gear, I did a fluid and filter swap and also tightend the valve body up (it was kind of loose) and that seemed to have cured it's problem shifting

Back