2005 Explorer Transmission Issues - No Reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Transmission Issues - No Reverse

Prater

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer xlt
I have a 2005 Explorer. At first the truck would rev through first and into second and after that is was smooth. The OD light is blinking so I have no OD. But that is the way it was when I purchased it. I have been driving it for about 5 months as a daily driver.

Lately, the car transmission seemed to have given out. It took a lot of time for the truck to move but once up to speed, it drove relatively ok. But I only had the forward gears. Even in Reverse, the truck drove forward. Yikes!!!

All of a sudden within 3 weeks, the transmission did not work. When moving the shifter from Park and through the gears, nothing happened. The transmission did not engage at all. I had the truck towed to a mechanic and after considering a rebuilt tranny, etc, he changed dropped the pan, changed the trans oil and "what do you know", the truck drives again, but only forward. I still do not have ANY reverse at all.

I was considering the Sea Foam Transmission treatment since the tranny has come back to life but I do not know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I use the Sea Foam how much should I put into the transmission? Do I need to drain the existing trans oil in order to do the treatment?

Thanks

I would skip the foam and find a replacement transmission. You drive it every day for five months with a warning lamp

Back