• Register Today It's free!

2006 Mountaineer Transfer Case ID

chinkert

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer v8 AWD
I'm pulling my hair out! I have an idiot light on the dash (4X4) that says take it in for service. Using AAamco transmissions free diagnostic, they said I need to crack and rebuild the transfer case to the tune of $800-$1200. Nice range huh? Anyway, I'm trying to find the ID code for the xfer case. I know I have a 6R60 6 speed tranny. The vehicle is AWD. I can't find any label or sticker on the xfer case. It is a Borg-Warner though and the electrical connector plugged into it has a label of 6L2T-7A786-AF. I can find similar Id's except for the last 5 characters (786-AF). Can anyone help me out here please? I'm looking to buy a used unit - there seems to be a lot of them out there. Thanks ahead of time!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 2004 mountaineer and I just replaced the viscous coupling in mine. Its a borg warner 4410 transfer case. There should be a metal tag attached to one of the bolts on the rear of the transfer case. But mine does not have an electrical connector. Do you have AWD or can you select 2 wheel 4 wheel high/low?

"i have a 2004 mountaineer and I just replaced the viscous coupling in mine. Its a borg warner 4410 transfer case. There should be a metal tag attached to one of the bolts on the rear of the transfer case. But mine does not have an electrical connector. Do you have AWD or can you select 2 wheel 4 wheel high/low?"

Well it took me a while to get a dealer to actually give me the part number, but I still don't know what the BW case number/model is. The part number is 6L2Z-7A195-DG. It matches up to a 6R60 6 speed auto tranny. I wasn't able to see the metal tag you referred to and yes there is an electric connection. I suspect the viscous coupling is starting to go from many of the threads I have read. I do have AWD all the time. So, rather than have the tranny shop rebuild it for a minimum $800, I found a yard that had one with 4k miles for $350 shipped. It's on it's way. Did you wind up doing the work yourself on the coupling?

yes, i am lucky that my older brother is a mechanic. Actually just replacing the coupling is easy. Once you pull the cover off then you slide the chain set off the two shafts and the coupling slides right off. Thats not a bad price, I paid $400 for the coupling alone and it was hard to find. My biggest problem was that someone had done some work on this before I bought it and sheared the cross member bolts and welded up one side. What a mess.

All for Naught!

Well, I got the used transfer case. Took the better part of the day to put it in and after that, took it for a test drive. Same exact symptoms as before! So thanks to that transmission shop known nationwide, the diagnosis was incorrect that the transfer case was bad, or I was lied to.
So, I wound up taking the vehicle to the dealership and figured I was just going to face the music. Let them know I put in the used transfer case. Got the call - service guy says there were 2 codes pulled relating to 4 wheel drive engaging and not releasing. They were cleared and reset and the vehicle works fine. No known explanation as to why these codes were generated in the first place but vehicle seems fine so far.

Summary;
1. Idiot light comes on - take truck in for service says the manual!
2. Take advantange of "FREE" 1 hour diagnostic Aamco transmisson. Diagnosis - bad transfer case - rebuild to the tune of $800-$1200.
3. Opt to do it myself. Buy used case for $375 shipped. Get a friend to help.
4. Install and the problem is still there. Out $475 - includes the $100 for the help.
5. Take to dealer, have the codes cleared. Cost $80. Throw them a bone and have the oil changed, tires rotated etc. for $40. Total $125.
6. Aamco can kiss my a$$! What a shameful way to do business. I hope anyone associated with the name reads this, because of your greediness I tossed almost $500 to the wind.

Back