2014 Explorer – Cause of intermittent loss of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer – Cause of intermittent loss of power

jlwirth

Reaction score
City, State
Friendswood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer, Limited
Hi, new member here. Sorry, if this is long. I just want to give the full history leading up to my question. I have a 2014 Ford Explorer, Limited 4WD. About 4 to 5 months ago I was driving and lost all power and the Low Engine Oil Pressure message appeared on the dash. I coasted into a parking lot and turned off the engine and tried to restart it. It wouldn’t start. I got out and checked my oil to find it was full. Got back in the car and it started fine. The Low Engine Oil Pressure light went off and no other lights came on (i.e. Check Engine). I stopped by the local AutoZone and had it checked for codes. There were no codes found. Over the next few months, this incident happened about 2 more times. I looked it up and found comments about the cause of this being the oil pressure sensor/switch. It was an intermittent problem at the time, so I didn’t put any priority into fixing.
Fast forward to this past Saturday… I was driving home and was about 3 miles from the house when it happened again. Knowing how I got past it from the previous times, I turned the engine off, waited a minute or so, started the car back up and continued on my way. Well, within a half mile, it happened again and then 3 more times with the last one having me coast into my driveway. This time, I noticed the check engine light was on. I don’t know at which of the 5 incidents it stayed on.

Monday morning, I brought it to the local Ford dealership about 2 miles down the road. It started fine and I had no issues on the drive. Checked the car in and gave them the info. I contacted them later that afternoon and the service adviser said there was a P0627 Code which indicated a fuel pump issue. He said the tech was still diagnosing and was driving it but couldn’t get the issue to repeat. I was called back today and was told the tech drove it and the issue final happened for him. Three times. The adviser proceeded to tell me I need a new fuel pump at a total cost of approx. $1500.00. $600 for the pump and $900 for 5 hours of labor. I was told the tech stated that it was not the Oil Pressure switch because when that goes out, that there is usually oil leaking from it and that mine was dry.

So, my question is. If this issue is the fuel pump, why didn’t the “check engine” light come on or any codes be there for the previous incidents? Could this issue actually be the oil pressure switch which is faulty and it is causing the fuel pump to shut down and with it happening 5 times within a few miles, that that caused the P0627 code. Or is it truly the fuel pump and it is causing the Low Oil Pressure message to appear when the pump shuts down?

Any other thoughts or advice would be appreciated?

Thanks,
Jeff W
2014 Explorer
Limited, 4WD
134,000 miles

Back