3.5L Timing pin damage

germaina

Reaction score
City, State
Suamico, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer, XLT, 3.5L
Hey All,

looking to see if anyone else has seen what I have and if anyone knows if it's a common issue with these motors. I had the infamous coolant leak from the water so replaced with as well as complete timing set. A while later my wife begain hearing a chatter from the engine so I tore it down again and found that the 6mm diameter timing pin in the crank shaft was pretty heavily damged. The timing sprocket had a ton of rotational play. Has anyone else seen this when they had it apart?

thank you,

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I did a quick look using the 'Seach' feature (top right) and found no other timing pin damage incidents.

Peter

Pull it out with some vice grips and get a new one from the dealer. Part # W710522-S300. Also will need new crank gear.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. I was driving and my ac compressor locked up and now when cranking my engine there is no start. How can I tell if the vehicle has jumped time and how hard is it to fix?

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. I was driving and my ac compressor locked up and now when cranking my engine there is no start. How can I tell if the vehicle has jumped time and how hard is it to fix?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Not being a mechanic I have to rely on other sources. I don't know if the lockup would have affected the timing but I found this;
If you were diving when it happened, I'm sure you would have noticed a change in the engine performance if it affected the timing.

Peter

Hey All,

looking to see if anyone else has seen what I have and if anyone knows if it's a common issue with these motors. I had the infamous coolant leak from the water so replaced with as well as complete timing set. A while later my wife begain hearing a chatter from the engine so I tore it down again and found that the 6mm diameter timing pin in the crank shaft was pretty heavily damged. The timing sprocket had a ton of rotational play. Has anyone else seen this when they had it apart?

thank you,

View attachment 452091

View attachment 452092

View attachment 452093
Did you follow the correct procedure of replacing the crank bolt with a new one and using blue Loctite? Torque to 89 ft. lbs., back off one turn, torque to 37 ft. lbs. and finish up with another 1/4 turn? If not, you got the likely result.

You mention three different diagnosis here. The A/C compressor locked up. Rare but I suppose it could happen. Remove freon, swap compressor, vac system, and refill. No start condition you need to troubleshoot. No start could mean cranking but not starting or no cranking. Need more information to trouble shoot. Jumped timing would need the timing cover removed, chain and associated components replaced, and then check for leakdown/compression after to see if you banged a valve into a piston.

Hey All,

thank you,

View attachment 452091

View attachment 452092

View attachment 452093
That is a common problem. Mine snapped in half and was stuck in the crank. Had to drill it out to be able to put the new one in.

You mention three different diagnosis here. The A/C compressor locked up. Rare but I suppose it could happen. Remove freon, swap compressor, vac system, and refill. No start condition you need to troubleshoot. No start could mean cranking but not starting or no cranking. Need more information to trouble shoot. Jumped timing would need the timing cover removed, chain and associated components replaced, and then check for leakdown/compression after to see if you banged a valve into a piston.
It cranks but doesn't act like it's getting any fire but I checked and there is plenty spark. I just replaced the crank sensor. ??? Help!! I need my truck. We have kids that need to get placed....

If your ac compressor is seized up your gonna have to fix that before you can start it again if the ac compressor is seized. A seized compressor can keep a car from starting I've seen it happen. Luckily the Honda we had used 3 belts one for each assessory so I just cut it off and never had an ac again. You can use some string to get a belt measurement and get a belt close to the size of what you need as a temporary pass until you can replace the compressor. You can also see if you can get the clutch to disengage from the compressor but it's a turd and a half to do. Just make sure your new temporary belt routing doesn't run through any existing pulleys.

Back