• Register Today It's free!

97 5r55e tranny trouble

97xtrouble

Reaction score
City, State
Lyons, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
I have a 1997 4x4 explorer 6cylinder sohc with the 5r55e tranny acting strange. It goes into park, reverse,neutral,and 2nd gears with no problems. When I go to take off and I put in into drive or 1st ...it acts like it wants to move but it wont. :fire: While I am driving, I can manually shift it into drive and it works and shifts fine. No noises coming from the tranny and fluids are full. No CEL. I was told it could be the VSS but not sure. I dont want to put more money into it than what I have to. Another person told me I have to have it rebuilt...$900- ??? to do this. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Well... the list is quite long, but here goes.

First off, your Digital Transmission Range sensor could be damaged or out of adjustment. OR, your wiring harness could be damaged.

Next you could have a solenoid problem with either the EPC, or any of the 4 shift solenoids.

Or, your could have a blown VB gasket (not uncommon and a prime suspect here).

If you had a 4R55 I'd also say you could have a failed reverse one way holding clutch (rear sprag) but that holds in both 1st AND 2nd in the 5R55E... so if you HAVE 2nd gear, that's not it. (be thankful if that is the case).

Lastly, and so remote as to be HIGHLY unlikely, but not impossible, is a bad PCM. That would be #12 on my top 10 list of possibles.

That's a lot of possibles. I'm guessing your problem is either the DTR, or is valve body related. You neglected to say how many miles but I'll assume 125K or so. Your EPC is probably due to be changed out in any event. Read the 5R55E VB rebuild diary in the stickies section.

I doubt you are looking at internal problems requiring a rebuild.

i had a 98 that i blew 1st gear in and it did the same thing even when you your driving and you put it 1st it slows the truck down right? its not the vss and it most likley is a solenoid or a band that is not grabbing

Back