• Register Today It's free!

About to Take the Plunge

megerian

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
My '04 Expedition with 140k miles finally gave up the ghost. Time to replace it.

Here are some things we considered, and we're pretty much narrowed down to a 2013 Explorer Limited. Two kids, and a boat to tow are important considerations.

GMC Acadia - really liked the '12 model, but the front end of the '13 model is pretty ugly now, and looks like their pickup trucks. The interior is pretty cheap looking, and this is still a 42-45k vehicle, with no power folding 3rd row. However, the 2nd row has proper captains chairs with armrests.

Buick Enclave - nice interior, but seems overpriced for what you are getting.

Chevy Traverse - looks and feels like a minivan. Same vehicle as a Acadia & Enclave. Just can't get excited about the looks of it.

Mazda CX-9 - liked it, but felt too small, coming from the Expedition, and towing had me concerned. The bells and whistles fall short of the other options, but the price was good.

Audi Q5 / Q7 - gorgeous, but a bit out of our price range when fully loaded up with options.

Ultimately, we want a 3rd row, and we want the towing package to be factory installed and fully wired (not an aftermarket tow hitch).

Explorer Limited:

- price is right in line or slightly below most of the options above, even when including 301A with power 3rd row and power liftgate.

- looks, a matter of opinion, of course, but I challenge anyone to say that the Explorer doesn't look better inside and out than the Acadia or the Traverse.

We are seriously debating the 2nd row buckets vs the bench, but aside from that, this seems like a clear choice for a 40k-ish SUV with my requirements.

comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree. When we were looking for a SUV before we decided on my soon-to-be 2013 EX Sport, we looked at alot of the same vehicles as you did. I was not impressed with the Chevy products, I couldn't get past the Buick stigma, and we also looked at the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Cadillac SRX. I liked both of those vehicles but hated the current Jeep entertainment cluster (they say it will be re-vamped for 2014 but I didn't want to wait) and I loved the Caddy and it was a serious consideration but at the end of the day, I got a bigger vehicle for about the same money similarly equipped. I also love the Sienna/Charcoal interior on the EX and the Caddy didn't offer that. All in all, I am very happy with my decision and hope I will be once we receive the car!

+1 for the 2nd row bucket seats and center console. We had it in our 2011 and loved it. Here's why:
- Never really have a need for 7 seating capacity. (We only have 2 kids)
- Center console provides a cupholder, misc tray, storage, and comfortable arm rest.
- The kids can easily pass thru to the back without flipping down the seats. They simply step over the console.
- The 3rd row doesn't feel so boxed in with the open gap in the 2nd row.
- The driver can more easily see items and passangers in the 3rd row thru the open gap in the 2nd row.
- It's more comfortable for adults in the 2nd row buckets witha console. This is probably more about perception rather than comfort.

Opinion seems to be that 2nd row buckets without the console is not very desirable, due to the lack of inner armrests, no extra cupholders, storage, etc.

So its down to either bench or buckets+console. The bench is cheaper (by $850) and can seat 3; whereas the buckets+console have all the benefits listed above by jamers99.

Opinion seems to be that 2nd row buckets without the console is not very desirable, due to the lack of inner armrests, no extra cupholders, storage, etc.

So its down to either bench or buckets+console. The bench is cheaper (by $850) and can seat 3; whereas the buckets+console have all the benefits listed above by jamers99.
Welcome to the Forum megerian.:wavey:
As for the bench seating 3 people, one of them has to be very thin.;)
If you are going to base your final selection on the bench being able to seat 3, you must try it out with 3 people first to see how that goes. There isn't much room in the center position and I think the seat belt fasteners may be a bit intrusive there as well.
Good luck.

Peter

Sienna and Ex

We have the Sienna which we love. i'm not a small guy by any means and it has more leg room than anything else on the market. with kids it was a great choice. we had a aerostar but that finally died and I got the 02 EX XLT. This i love.. have plenty of leg room, not much in hip but doable, and my son just informed his mom that he likes daddy's ex better.

...and keep in mind the difference between the inflatable seatbelt receivers that stick out like pitchforks vs. the non-inflatable receivers that lay flat on the seat like any other seatbelt you've seen. If you try an Ex with non-inflatables and a bench, you will not be very happy when you see how the inflatable receivers sit in the bench seat vs. the ones you tried originally. They may render your center passenger seat useless if your center passenger is over 8 years of age, or anorexic.

Joe - so my current "ideal" configuration does not include the inflatable belts. But sounds like that is a bigger deal for the bench seats. thanks for the info

Welcome to the Forum megerian.:wavey:
As for the bench seating 3 people, one of them has to be very thin.;)
If you are going to base your final selection on the bench being able to seat 3, you must try it out with 3 people first to see how that goes. There isn't much room in the center position and I think the seat belt fasteners may be a bit intrusive there as well.
Good luck.

Peter

Exactly! The center position with a bench is very tight and uncomfortable for all sitting in that row. Another benefit to the buckets is it gives the 2nd row more legroom since they can slide about 10 inches fore and aft.

I have the bench and need it. My kids play hockey. When I thrown their hockey gear in the back I have no third row. If I take my son and three of his friends they all sit in the 2 nd row. Big lads, they have no problem fitting there.

I have the bench and need it. My kids play hockey. When I thrown their hockey gear in the back I have no third row. If I take my son and three of his friends they all sit in the 2 nd row. Big lads, they have no problem fitting there.
I assume you meant to say that three sit in the 2nd row, not all four.;)
I've been involved in minor hockey and coaching it for 45 years but now with the older kids I just travel with an empty Explorer, except for myself.:)
I still don't think I'd be the one wanting to sit in the middle position.
Basically it is your life style that will determine whether the extra room of a bench is required or not. As you pointed out, if the cargo area is constantly required for things other than people, a third row isn't going to be that beneficial.

Peter

We have the Sienna which we love. i'm not a small guy by any means and it has more leg room than anything else on the market.

My .02 opinion on Explorer leg room. I'm 6'4" / 315lbs and have not problem with leg room in my Ex. Of the 20+ SUV's and sedan's I sat in prior to buying, the Ex fit me best. And plenty of head and shoulder room to boot. As others have said in other posts, the 2nd row buckts give an inch plus more room behind driver than the bench. Important for me so anyone behind me has a little more room.

Good luck on your final decision.

My '04 Expedition with 140k miles finally gave up the ghost. Time to replace it.

Here are some things we considered, and we're pretty much narrowed down to a 2013 Explorer Limited...

Hi megerian,

I hope you end up adding a 2013 Explorer Limited to your garage! If you place an order rather than buying from the lot, send a PM my way with your order number and dealer name. I'll give you weekly updates on your Explorer's delivery status.

Let us know what you decide!

Crystal

Hi Crystal :

Thanks for the offer :) I am going to our dealer here in Rochester MN this afternoon, with my family. If they like the one in stock (2013 Explorer Limited, Ruby Red, 301A, tow package, black interior) I am buying it. If we prefer the medium light stone interior, we have to order it, since they do not have that combination in stock.

Hi Crystal :

Thanks for the offer :) I am going to our dealer here in Rochester MN this afternoon, with my family. If they like the one in stock (2013 Explorer Limited, Ruby Red, 301A, tow package, black interior) I am buying it. If we prefer the medium light stone interior, we have to order it, since they do not have that combination in stock.

Sounds good, megerian. Let us know what your family thinks of the Ruby Red!

Crystal

The family vote was unanimous: 2013 Explorer 4WD Limited, in ruby red w/ black leather interior, 301A package, and tow package. done deal :)

The family vote was unanimous: 2013 Explorer 4WD Limited, in ruby red w/ black leather interior, 301A package, and tow package. done deal :)
Score another victory for democracy! Congratulations megerian.:thumbsup:
Now we anxiously await the proof (pics).:)

Don't forget to ask if the MFT/SYNC has been updated. If no one is sure, check the SD card for the Nav. It should say 'A4'

Peter

Woo hoo! Glad to hear that you took the plunge, megerian. Like Peter, I can't wait to see pics!

Crystal

Only a few days into ownership, but I really love my Explorer!!

Looks great, rides great, and all the features are well beyond what you can find in similarly priced 4WD SUVs.

Tonight I was backing out of the garage with my kids, and the rear sensor went off, and we look at the image for rear-facing camera... and there's my cat!!! So the kids now firmly believe that the new Explorer saved his life by telling me to stop :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back