APIM swap for navigation 2022 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

APIM swap for navigation 2022 Explorer

kwojnar

Reaction score
City, State
cranberry township, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 xlt
Just joined since I take delivery of a used 2022 XLT this thursday. I have been looking at APIM swaps to add navigation to a basic system (I understand programming will also be needed). The biggest thing that is concerning to me is i can't find any service manual or even a youtube video that shows the location of the APIM on the 2022. Tried to find a service manual online as well but no luck. I do 90% of any work on my vehicles so would be great to find a service manual if anyone can tell me where to get one !

The XLT is a more or less base model so the other thing I was looking at is installing factory fog lights. Since I don't yet have the Explorer yet, I was wondering if the aftermarket replacements could be used. I see the OEM fog lights are held in with 3 screws and am hoping the plastic fill pieces are mounted in the same way so that it would be an easy swap for the hardware. I understand again that if i were to try using factory switches that a new wiring harness and programming would be needed but was just looking to hardwire into the headlight power feed.

Any help or suggestions are welcome
Thanks in advance for your help
KJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is an install video from 4D Tech.

Just joined since I take delivery of a used 2022 XLT this thursday. I have been looking at APIM swaps to add navigation to a basic system (I understand programming will also be needed). The biggest thing that is concerning to me is i can't find any service manual or even a youtube video that shows the location of the APIM on the 2022. Tried to find a service manual online as well but no luck. I do 90% of any work on my vehicles so would be great to find a service manual if anyone can tell me where to get one !

The XLT is a more or less base model so the other thing I was looking at is installing factory fog lights. Since I don't yet have the Explorer yet, I was wondering if the aftermarket replacements could be used. I see the OEM fog lights are held in with 3 screws and am hoping the plastic fill pieces are mounted in the same way so that it would be an easy swap for the hardware. I understand again that if i were to try using factory switches that a new wiring harness and programming would be needed but was just looking to hardwire into the headlight power feed.

Any help or suggestions are welcome
Thanks in advance for your help
KJ
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think the previous 2 posts are going to be of help to you in adding the navigation.
Regarding adding fog lights, I found this thread using the handy 'Search' feature (top right) that you might find useful. Levittown Ford is a forum vendor and offers members a discount. Adding OEM fog lights to 2020 Explorer
Future discussion on fogs should be posted in that thread so this one stays on the navigation subject.

Peter

Here is an install video from 4D Tech.

Perfect - just what i needed. I was able to find a pretty good manual as well so now, all i need to do is take delivery !!!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think the previous 2 posts are going to be of help to you in adding the navigation.
Regarding adding fog lights, I found this thread using the handy 'Search' feature (top right) that you might find useful. Levittown Ford is a forum vendor and offers members a discount. Adding OEM fog lights to 2020 Explorer
Future discussion on fogs should be posted in that thread so this one stays on the navigation subject.

Peter
This is a great ownership start - won't have the vehicle for one more day and already have my answers ! Appreciate the fog light lead and the parts source.

Back