Armrest center console rear AC slow fan! Explorer 2000 5.0 V8 Elite XLT. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Armrest center console rear AC slow fan! Explorer 2000 5.0 V8 Elite XLT.

jmedina

Reaction score
City, State
maracaibo
Year, Model & Trim Level
EXPLORER XLT ELITE 2000
Hello everyone,

I have this issue recently, that the rear ac for the passengers is slow, it use to be very strong, but now it's jus in low, i try moving the switch in control panel, but apparently no increase of speed.

Has anyone experience this before? any recomendation? if so, any pics or video for DIY?

Thank you all!

I glanced at the wiring diagram for that and either it is wrong or it is so unconventionally (badly) drawn that it doesn't even make sense how they manage to get low speed to work at all! Either it is just wrong or they omitted drawing a resistor in series on the console rear switch, between the medium and low setting. That diagram is attached below as a PDF and I've included a cropped picture to show what I'm talking about, including the fuse mentioned next.

The switch appears to have a (thermal? resettable?) fuse in it, so you could check that for continuity and if it's tripped open, replace that (need to crimp or solder it, most likely) or the whole switch assembly.

Otherwise I'd measure for the voltage getting to the fan when the switch is set to high. If not near 12V, then you have a problem upstream. If near 12V then I'd run a fused jumper wire to the fan to see if that gives it full power and I mean fan at the correct full operating speed.

If the fan motor seems to work at full speed then I would wonder if the switch just has old hardened grease and oxidized contacts, would see if it can be non-destructively opened, cleaned out and then a tiny bit of dielectric grease put back.

rear-fan.png

Attachments

• air-conditioning-manual-a-c-circuit-1-of-1.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 12

Back