ball joint installation -- '87 BII | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ball joint installation -- '87 BII

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
replaced the ball joints on my BII, but had a little trouble installing them. I have a question, and I hopw you can help me. At the point where you install the steering knuckle with the new ball joints to the axle, the manual says it is important to tighten the lower ball joint first, then the upper ball joint. I tried that, but, halfway through tightening the nut on the lower ball joint, the stupid ball joint stud started to spin, so that the nut wouldn't go on. I decided to put the upper ball joint nut (used the old nut here) on to pull it together just tight enough so that the lower ball joint stud would stop spinning. I then tightened the lower ball joint to about 40 ft lbs, took off the old nut from the upper ball joint, put the new nut on, torqued it to spec, then finished tightening the lower ball joint nut. I've finished putting it all back together, and it drives OK. I'm just concerned that I may have a problem with the ball joints and steering, since I didn't do it exactly per the instructions. Anyone set my mind at ease? Anyone vote for taking it apart and trying again?

Back