big tires?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

big tires??

I got a 94 explorer xlt that is almost completely stock
I wanted to get some new tires and I decided to go larger than what I previously had. Right now there are 225/70r/15 tires on them. I have the stock 15x7 rims. I have heard that I can fit 30x9.50's under there without any lifts or anything. Is that true? If not can somebody tell me how big I can go.

you can do 30x9.50 without a problem. No new gears or nothing will be needed. In fact some people have been able to put 31's on a bone stock Explorer. I'm not sure if that's what I would do though, I'm sure some rubbing would occure.

On another not....welcome to the site. You will soon notice that just about any explorer question can be answered here.

Good Luck
:)

I got 30X9.50's on mine and in hindsight I could've put 31's no prob. but I only have 3.27 gears so it would have made it too slow. Welcome to the sight. Its amazing

Marvin,
I have the 3.27 gears and I was curious to know how much it affected you? Was it as drastic as I think it would be?
Thanks,

I may be over-critical of the acceleration performance of my explorer but going over mountain passes it has to be out of overdrive and i got to stand on it some.....and if i dont time it right pulling out onto a 2lane hwy in front of a Big rig I get to find out how the rev limiter works.....but it still has some get up and go.....I get about 16 MPG with out the A/C....Thats just what I think....someone on this site has 3.27's with 32's on he can tow a suki samuri....so i could be just to demanding..."so thats what i think".=-)

Back