Bigger tires affect ABS.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bigger tires affect ABS....

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said if I put bigger tires on my 99 explorer it will mess up the way my ABS performs. Because my ABS was calibrated to the stock size tires. I told him that everyone here must have ABS and bigger tires and have had no problems... What affect if any did anyone have with their ABS with bigger tires. Or is he just an overprotective mechanic.??? I think he is full of it, but I told him I would ask here to see the real deal. Thanks,

------------------
Greengoose.
www.geocities.com/Baja/Ravine/4202/index.html
FORD= Fantastic Off Road Driving

I noticed that my 92 does it under hard breaking. It didnt used to do that. Get off the dirt and hit it on the pavement and see what happens? My back end ends up locking up!

------------------
Brian Green
92 2wd Explorer w/
6 inch Suspension lift
92 2wd Ranger w/
5.5 inch suspension lift

The problem is not with the ABS but more than likely (especially with the above mentioned ranger) the fact that with larger (wider) tires you have less weight per square inch that you do with smaller (narrower) tire. Therefore much less bite and an increased tendancy to slip.

Remember that compared to the front you have signifcantly less weight in the rear of the vehicle. (especially a pickup)

I have run into this before on other trucks. Either throw bunch of stereo equipment in the back or hang spare tires and gas cans off the rear rack for added weight.

Best regards.
hg

Pendarus hit the nail right on the head. ABS systems, at least on the 91-94 explorers and more than likely new explorers, measure at what speed the wheels are turning in relation to the speed of the vehicle. The ABS generally only cares whether the wheel is turning or not.
The added mass and circumference of the tire affects the braking performance but will by no means hurt your ABS system. Braking with or without ABS can be affected by larger tires do to the above mentioned properties but not because the ABS senses the diameter difference of larger tires.
Hope this helps a little.
Take care and happy exploring!

------------------
Todd Metzger
tmetz@umr.edu
'Off-Road and More!'
93 "Ford X 4" XLT

Back