Blown Head gasket??? 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown Head gasket??? 4.0 SOHC

radtoy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
I am burning coolant and white smoke is coming out exhaust and dripping water from tailpipe. But I have perfectly clean oil and Clean Antifreeze in radiator. Is their any chance I am sucking coolant from the Intake gaskets???
I have never overheated it in the past 7 years. I can't figure out if the coolant goes anywhere near the intake manifold without taking it off???
Thanks for any help, Jim. 6 cyl. sohc model.

pull the plugs... mark each one as you pull. The compare them all. The ones that are really clean and / rusted (maybe) are cylinders that might be in "trouble". How does it run? You might want to "throw" in some "stop leak" (no the best solution) but perhaps a short term one... some people have had some success with method. The other question, how many miles on the engine? and are you planning on keeping it for a lot longer?

blown head gasket?

Engine has 165k milder on it but it runs great with no check engine light ever came on. Just started using coolant.more n more over last 3 months. Do you think its the head gasket for sure? I just want to fix it good enough to pass smog then sell it.

Back