Canister purge CEL, but no solenoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Canister purge CEL, but no solenoid?

danlong

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 2wd - V8
I've been trying to track down a stumble/lack of power on my truck for awhile now, and finally went and bought a code reader. I got 3 codes, one of them being 565, Canister purge solenoid circuit failure. Weird thing is, I don't have a purge solenoid. The connector is present on the engine harness, but the line that comes off the charcoal canister that would go to the solenoid just makes a 90 degree bend off the top of the canister, then stops.

I got to thinking on this, and I was told that the engine had been replaced prior to me buying the truck. If I was to buy a new solenoid, where does it purge to? I know some of them are under the upper intake, and some are beside the engine in the line that goes to the canister, but does it just plug into any open vacuum port?

None of this information was in your other thread.
CANP vented into the throttle body. If it is indeed MIA, and the port the CANP vented into is open, then you have a significant vacuum leak. This could cause a KOER or CM MAF and O2 sensor codes, as well as the driveability symptoms you describe. The vent line from my CANP solenoid vents to the bottom of the throttle body. If you choose to vent it to some other vacuum port, make sure the one on the throttle body is capped off.

The port on the TB is capped off already, so I know its not causing a vacuum leak, which is why I didn't include it in the other post. Sorry for the confusion.

Back