check engine and o/d off flashing

matogato

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport
95 sport, 4wd sport trac 94k miles...
went on a road trip last week and stopped at the jiffy lube for an oil change. let them talk me into a radiator flush and transmission service (fluid change). Ran fine for the 700 mi trip and for about a week after although the check engine light came on intermittently (its been doing this for a while)
Then the o/d light starts flashing and now she shifts late from 1st to 2nd. No noises, smooth shifts both up and down but from a stop she will get between 3000-3500 rpm and I will ease off the gas a little and then she finds second and we are all good. I stomp on it or go up a hill and she drops back to 1st ok. Everythings fine upwards from 2nd gear. 1st thing was back to the jiffy lube. they said the fluid level was good and they didn't see anything underneath. took her into the local auto zone to have the codes read. they had one of those units that beeps as opposed to the digital display. with the engine off the only code was 335 (egr) which would account for the check engine light but no codes with the engine running. no tranny codes. the o/d off light usually comes on when i put her in gear. after he disconnected this reader the o/d off lamp quit flashing for a few miles and is now back on. could i be doing something wrong trying to get the codes or could this be something else. any help??
thanks.

I don't have the answer but my 96 XLT 4x4 is in the shop now for the EXACT same problem minus the EGR code - however, my car has seemed sluggish for a while too. I had a rebuilt transmission put in because they found pieces of metal in the bottom of the case and I plan to keep the vehicle a long time. I think the Overdrive problem is resolved but the shop can't fix a 1705 code (probably unrelated to your problem). Shop says it's internal to the transmission and the transmission supplier says it is an electrical problem related to the ground to the tail lights. Neither side has budged over the past 10 days and I'm stuck in the middle without my car. Am curious to the resolution of your problem and any help solving the 1705 code so I can get my vehicle back.

Back