• Register Today It's free!

Do It Yourself ?

Falkon

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
As a new owner I am wondering just how much the average owner can do himself on these vehicles. On my '89 Lincoln Mark VII most of the problems can be attacked by an owner w/ some mechanical ability. I have a shop manual of course.

Looking over this Explorer I wouldn't know how to remove a dash piece w/o damage much less dig into anything behind it. Especially worrisome is the Air Bags. Mark VII has none. My headlight switch knob is a little loose & I'd like to consider replacing it for example.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how to define the 'average' owner anymore. I grew up wrenching on everything in sight and have not taken any car to a shop in years (decades) except for warranty work (and for body work - yuck). Anymore fewer and fewer folks actually do thier own work while the cars have become more complex.

These trucks are fairly complex (think auto tranny) and not for the unexperienced; however, with a good set of tools, a place to work on it, a good manual, and patience a person cold do most things themselves.

Air bags - just disconnect the battery first as air bags are plug and play - you don't work on them, you just replace when blown or damaged.

it all just depends on how mechanically inclined you are. im 17 and i swapped my 4.6 in mine.

I am not real talented with autos and have been able to figure out most things thus far (Ihave not broken anything to this point). The forums have been a lot of help

OK, well I rebuilt the engine in my '73 Triumph way back. Also kept a '62 T-Bird on the road running well for 10 years, sold 5 years ago. My experience is w/ older cars. The latest is my '89 Mark VII. That's still fairly simple. Did calipers etc. Also the air suspension and such. No engine work.

I have always bought a factory manual for every car I've owned, but am wondering if it's worth it here. The headlight switch for example, I don't want to pry something loose and ruin it trying to fix it.

lol im 19...and i have put headers on, changed the intake manifold and plenum, changed the whole engine, changed the oil, inspected cams for wear...there is quite a lot you can do...i think the only thing the non professionals shouldnt mess with is the transmission and the differentials...other than fluids in the diffs... the dash is held on by bolts and those little metal clips over a piece of plastic, your chiltons should show how to remove it...though i dont think you need to remove the whole dash to pull that switch out...i think it just pops out...try pushing from the back off the dash, you can get your hands up in there if i remember right ^.^

I believe if you have any mechanical skill at all, and the Help on the folks on this forum you should be able to most repairs yourself...
Finishing a Custom One off CAI myself right now!

toss in a code reader, be sure you get the extended ford codes as there are over 500 sensors . . . with that you might get up to 90% fixable things. . ., only thing left that i wouldn't do, Trans (too many parts), Diffs, and heavy stuff. Most of of its little things. . .like sensors.

Where do you buy a code reader & is there a particular kind for this car? Also, where on the vehicle do you plug it in?

you plug the code reader in under the steering wheel. im 17 and ive done the brakes/rotors, water pump, and the thermostat on my 99 5.0. and im about to replace the timing cover gasket. and before i bought this i had never worked on a car before...

I bought software for and old laptop, Bowser Software which you can get ABS, Airbag codes etc. . .most standard readers don't. Search Fleabay, Harbor Freight, and some posts here i thought talked about them. Id wait till you have a check engine light, they are $50-300 depending. . .there is a plug next to the parking brake release. Its called OBDII or Onboard diagnostics

Diffs ain't that bad, unless you're doing gear ratios, otherwise lunchbox lockers are easy installs. I've done most of the basics and there are solenoids in the transmission that are fairly easy to change. spark plugs aren't too bad, takes some finesse. Haven't done everything yet, but most things are pretty easy, grab a shop manual, I have a Chiltons for my 99 and it's not too bad.

Back