• Register Today It's free!

easy snorkel

mountaineerbeast

Reaction score
City, State
Socorro, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
Is there some place that sells a snorkel that will fit a 97 mountaineer, or is there some easy way to make a snorkel.

if anybody has a picture of there diy snorkel that would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is no kit for any explorer/ mountaineer, i just used 2 inch schedule 40 pvc. i took my fender off cut a hole in the inner fender and airbox, i ran a short piece of pvc into the airbox then a 90 degree bend out the the airbox. i ran it across the inner fender then used a 45 and ran it up and out of the fender where i cut a small hole big enough to fit the pipe out. after mocking it up i glued everything together and siliconed anywhere air could get in, and put a 90 degree bend as the tip. to test it just cover up the top of the snorkel and if everything is air tight the truck will bog out. It cost me about 40 dollars which is much better than the 300 plus the safari kits cost. here are some pics.

Attachments

• explorer004.jpg
    explorer004.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 9,207
  • explorer005.jpg
    explorer005.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 3,552
  • explorer009.jpg
    explorer009.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,181

There are a couple threads on making one.

was the 2 inch pipe about the same size as the intake pipe that comes of the air box?

i'm thinking 3 inch would be better for my 5.0 v8

was the 2 inch pipe about the same size as the intake pipe that comes of the air box?

i'm thinking 3 inch would be better for my 5.0 v8

nope, that piece is maybe only an inch in diamter. i just cut it off and glued/siliconed a piece of plastic over it. yea the 3 inch would prob be better for you but youll prob have to bend/ cut up the inner fender more than i did. only reason i went with the 2 inch was because the 3 inch wouldnt let the fender go back on just right and i think the 3 inch can look kinda bulky and goofy. just type in "snorkel" in the search bar and you should be able to find a few writeups on diy snorkels.

Sorry for commenting on a dead thread, but do you have any issues with rain in your box? I can't think of a way to help the rain drain out of the pipe before it goes into the box... :(

Back