• Register Today It's free!

egr fault

billnflorida

Reaction score
City, State
north port fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt 4 door 2wd 4.0
Hey how's everyone doing? this is my first posting. My name is Bill and i have a 1996 exporer 2wd with the 4.0 engine. My check engine light comes on. I ran a scan at Advanced auto and it came up with insufficient egr flow. Talking with various people I went ahead and replaced all the egr components. Still have problem. Used my buddies scan tool and it came back with a clogged catalytic converter. Is there a way of checking for a clogged converter and what am I missing when it comes to the egr problem. Or is the clogged converter giving me the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! Posting the exact code number will help. There's not really a way a shadetree mechanic can check for a clogged cat besides seeing if one is warmer than the others, indicating a block. check the lines going to the DPFE sensor, sometimes those vac lines can trip a code like that.

When you say you replaced all the EGR components, did that include the DPFE sensor?

No code for a clogged cat. Makes me wonder what code they interpreted as such.

Most muffler shops will check that for you at no charge. They do a pressure differential check between the input and output of the converter. I know Meineke and Midas both do it for free.

Back