Wanted - Excessive Radiator Fan Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Excessive Radiator Fan Noise

Parts or services wanted

jhodge2483

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger
I own a 2012 Ranger XLT 4x4 4liter V6 Vin E. The truck has 106000 miles and very well maintained (Mechanically). Over the last two weeks the the there is a large noise coming from the engine compartment. It sounds like a vortex of air when I am accelerating. It tends to happen more often when the air is damp and the weather is cold. I though it might be coming from the intake going to the plenum. I disconnected the air box from the filter and restricted the air flow and that made no change to the noise. I believe the noise is coming from the cooling fan itself. The vehicle has always made a noise in the area but it has only gotten louder with the ability to drown out the radio. I was wounder if the fan clutch, a failing bearing, or even a failing water pump could cause this increase in fan noise. If anyone out there has had this problem or has heard of it any info would be helpful.

Thanks
SSG Hodges:troops:

Ranger fans are very noisy when they're fully locked up, and it sounds like your fan clutch is locking up too far. Take off your serpentine belt and with a cold engine take a SHORT drive and see if the noise goes away... if it does then you've found your problem. (your water pump won't be spinning without the belt on so keep an eye on your temp gauge during your test drive)

Back