• Register Today It's free!

Freon leaking into cab

sun49dog

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
I've got a '94 XLT. Within a year of having the a/c compressor replaced the a/c began to fail; inside temps never got as cold and, eventually, didn't cool at all. The defrost would not remove moisture either, which I know is related to the a/c system. I suffered without a/c for a couple of years and recently decided to fix it. I first recharged with 134a containing a dye and used a black light to look for the leak. As the freon went in, the compressor clutch started to spin intermittently but not continuously. Though I could not see any dye/leak with the UV light, I could smell the refrigerant leaking into the cab. I'd like to replace the o-rings and try recharging but thought I would ask here first. Is there somewhere out of sight where refrigerant could leak into the cab?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the past help.

:usa:

I've got a '94 XLT. Within a year of having the a/c compressor replaced the a/c began to fail; inside temps never got as cold and, eventually, didn't cool at all. The defrost would not remove moisture either, which I know is related to the a/c system. I suffered without a/c for a couple of years and recently decided to fix it. I first recharged with 134a containing a dye and used a black light to look for the leak. As the freon went in, the compressor clutch started to spin intermittently but not continuously. Though I could not see any dye/leak with the UV light, I could smell the refrigerant leaking into the cab. I'd like to replace the o-rings and try recharging but thought I would ask here first. Is there somewhere out of sight where refrigerant could leak into the cab?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the past help.

:usa:

second on the evaporator. I replaced one. Look for oil where the condensate drips out of the truck, passenger side.

Back