• Register Today It's free!

Front License Plate Holder issue

Awsum97

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT AWD
Ok so here is another one today ( i havent been logged on in a while). I live where you have to parallel park in the street. Unfort w my 97 ex - when a car to the front of my ex backs up it squishes the license plate holder and dismounts it from the rivets. I have bought a new holder more than once but the problem arises again and again because the rivets are no match for the force of a car backing up into it. I even updated the rivets and got steel ones from ford (rather then the crappy plastic ones the car comes with) the problem is when i get backed into these improved rivets hold but the plastic housing of the license plate holder get ripped/torn. So i constantly have a license plate dangling from the front of my car.

horrible engineering on fords part. explorers now have a holder that is flush against the bumber etc so that it can withstand a blow and not get torn up.

i was thinking of getting a bull bar that way the license plate holder wud be protected from would-be cars backing into me. But i cant find any that they make for a 1997 ex. something like this would be cool:
http://www.autoanything.com/grille-guards/73A4535A0A0.aspx?green=18242542912

So my question for you guys is:

1) have any of you been able to retool/rejigger the license plate holder apparauts on e 2nd gen Ex so that it is sturdy - if so please share

2) have any of you found a sturdier holder that maybe even came off a different make of car that would work?

3) Do any of you have suggestions for a bullbar/etc that you like that would fit a gen 2 Ex?? my car is not an offroader its more of a street car at this point so i dont need anything super offraod ready. im more after looks and some functionality

thanks so much!

Back