grill chrome removal how-to, or how-NOT-to | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

grill chrome removal how-to, or how-NOT-to

Trac Marks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac
1500+ miles of baked-on bug splatter was no match for my power washer this weekend. Unfortunately I completely forgot about a small tear I had on the chrome grill. Must have hit a bird or rock, something caused the chrome to split and a small peel had formed. Before I knew it that small peel ripped into a huge gash and there was no going back. Had to finish the job :thumbdwn:

hjdfhsdgh_zps94cfe251.jpg

hdfhdfgh_zpsa0b92f41.jpg

Driveway afterwards
fhghfgh_zps7183cee7.jpg

Also peeled the white plastidip right off the hood trim piece - did this intentionally & carefully at a greater distance.

gfdhdfh_zps1d1f3354.jpg

I'll buy a can or two of Duplicolor aerosol and try painting the shell body color and maybe do the bars in black or silver. Pretty sure I don't want the whole thing white. Although anything would look better than the olive drab / grey marble look I am rocking now. Can't see it, but I shoved a large piece of black rubber in front of the radiator so I wouldn't fill the fins too full of chrome debris.

Husqvarna 3000 PSI gas pressure washer with a Craftsman rotary nozzle. Great for concrete, wheels & tires, and... unwanted chrome?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pressure washers are no joke. I hear they'll slice through a finger...now you have an excuse to paint or replace the grill.

Here it is now, not particularly loving it. Think I'll add some black to the small vertical support bars behind the thicker horizontal ones. Used up the last of my silver I had in the garage. Ran out of white so the chrome hood piece sticks out like a sore thumb.

dsfgsdfg_zps7c6659b1.jpg

You should just pull it off and spray bomb it. Takes about 5 minutes. There are only 4 screws holding it in on the top and half a dozen tabs on the sides.

...or plasti-dip the grille, might look good blacked out

I am looking at a white one tomorrow and I came on here looking to see if anyone got rid of the chrome. If you could get black on there before tomorrow morning for me, that would be great.

:) :)

Honestly, I think what you have is an improvement.

1500+ miles of baked-on bug splatter was no match for my power washer this weekend. Unfortunately I completely forgot about a small tear I had on the chrome grill. Must have hit a bird or rock, something caused the chrome to split and a small peel had formed. Before I knew it that small peel ripped into a huge gash and there was no going back. Had to finish the job :thumbdwn:

View attachment 298473

View attachment 298474

Driveway afterwards
View attachment 298475

Also peeled the white plastidip right off the hood trim piece - did this intentionally & carefully at a greater distance.

View attachment 298476

I'll buy a can or two of Duplicolor aerosol and try painting the shell body color and maybe do the bars in black or silver. Pretty sure I don't want the whole thing white. Although anything would look better than the olive drab / grey marble look I am rocking now. Can't see it, but I shoved a large piece of black rubber in front of the radiator so I wouldn't fill the fins too full of chrome debris.

Husqvarna 3000 PSI gas pressure washer with a Craftsman rotary nozzle. Great for concrete, wheels & tires, and... unwanted chrome?
Hello,
Can you tell me what you do for removing the chrome?

Hello,
Can you tell me what you do for removing the chrome?
Whoa....Old thread. : ) I plasti-dipped mine. Have to refresh it every year or two, but it looks good. You just paint right over the chrome. Just clean it. No sanding or anything.
grill.jpg

Whoa....Old thread. : ) I plasti-dipped mine. Have to refresh it every year or two, but it looks good. You just paint right over the chrome. Just clean it. No sanding or anything.View attachment 343102
Great, already I removed all the chrome in grill and I will share my car picture near soon when I finish.

Ive purchased Ironman black plastic aftermarket grill for approx. 50 bucks.

No need for painting or recoat
IMG-20210826-WA0021.jpeg

Back