HIDs in Mountaineer Housing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HIDs in Mountaineer Housing

I know everyone says don't put HIDs in non-projector housings, but I've spoken to two other Mountaineer owners who have done it no problem, no glare or cars flashing them and actually a decent cutoff line as our reflector housing is pretty good with it's design and clear lens, vs the ones on Explorers where people complained of glare and scattered light like a **** even when aimed. Plus I just noticed something today on a Friends 06' Escalade, they come from the factor with a similar reflector housing and HIDs, the previous gen Escalade used non-projector HID's, no different from my truck. Plus looking stuff up quite a few cars used to not have projectors like the previous gen G35 as well.

Being my truck (2000) has the good factory cleear housing I'm just gonna go that route, don't want to bother with projector retro fit as I know a few people who tried and had problems or had to buy new housings as no matter how sealed they were kept fogging up inside.

Any input on the fog's though, as don't want hid's with that nasty yellow fog light. I can't seem to find replacements for this truck except for factory, plenty of options for Explorers. Is there just a normal "white" halogen rectangular fogs for my truck?

edit - also anyone know where to get side clears for the Mountaineers, searched and again can only find them for the Explorer, to get rid of the yellow casing.

Am not for or against HID in our vehs. Just want you all to know that any veh. that has HID in reflector type housing that the housing was made for HID. Car companies dont use the same headlight housings for HID and halogen. They are different.
You can use most any PIAA, Hella, Catz, KC , fog lights on the Mtneer. May have to cut out the fog openings a little but they all will fit.

Am not for or against HID in our vehs. Just want you all to know that any veh. that has HID in reflector type housing that the housing was made for HID. Car companies dont use the same headlight housings for HID and halogen. They are different.
You can use most any PIAA, Hella, Catz, KC , fog lights on the Mtneer. May have to cut out the fog openings a little but they all will fit.
No I get what your saying, for some reason though our reflector housings on 98-01' Mountaineers handle HID's well when aimed correctly vs some other housings like the Explorers which are pretty bad scattering light like crazy. I've seen some other reflective housings on other vehicles that worked poorly with a hid kit. I may still do a projector retrofit but not sure I have the patience for it lol. I know one of the guys I spoke with was very suprised at how well the kit worked in his Mountaineer housings. I'm still thinking of maybe just swapping in some Philips extremes though, I love the look and use of Hid's but even if the housing works I still have that "ghetto cheap" feeling vs having projectors if you know what I mean lol. I wish the available Explorer projector housing sets would fit.

Cool thanks for the info on the fogs, I was wondering if I could adapt and swap different bulbs without damaging/melting the housing being it's so tight. And not many fog fittings for the groove cutouts in our bumpers.

Actually found some info on a good bolt in kit where you don't have to worry about drilling and trimming correctly, G3 with bolt in projector, damn near almost as good as a custom projector retrofit but without all the hassle and risk of screwing up your housing and it's much cheaper. Looking into a few other options. edit - actually another company retrofitsolutions I'm going to pry use, easier for all together as dealing with teh guys trying to sell or work with g1/g3 stuff which is just a name anyway they gave it makes it confusing as hell. I'd rather deal with a company easy to reach like retrosolutions that has everything.

Back