• Register Today It's free!

Ignition cylinder issues

tpaluszak

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Holly, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Exploder Sport 4x4
Hey yall I have a 96 explorer sport that needs the ignition cylinder replaced. I bought it from the previous owner w no keys after he broke the key off inside and managed to get the nub back out but the remains of the cylinder look like a scene from texas chainsaw massacre. How does one go about removing/replacing this part? I've looked for threads on this but none of them seem to go in depth about how to remove the cylinder and do I need to worry about whatever PATS is?

If it is just the cylinder that needs to be replaced it seems simple, according to my manual. To avoid problems with air bag deployment disconnect negative battery terminal and then disconnect positive battery terminal, wait a few minutes. Insert key, or in your case a screw driver, and turn cylinder to first (Run) position. Insert a small punch, allen wrench or scribe into the small hole in the lower column cover and depress retaining clip while pulling out the cylinder. Installation is just the reverse... Push in retaining clip and push new cylinder in, making sure it is seated.
Hope this helps.

If it is just the cylinder that needs to be replaced it seems simple, according to my manual. To avoid problems with air bag deployment disconnect negative battery terminal and then disconnect positive battery terminal, wait a few minutes. Insert key, or in your case a screw driver, and turn cylinder to first (Run) position. Insert a small punch, allen wrench or scribe into the small hole in the lower column cover and depress retaining clip while pulling out the cylinder. Installation is just the reverse... Push in retaining clip and push new cylinder in, making sure it is seated.
Hope this helps.
YES!! Finally got it out thank you. I never would have noticed that tiny pin. It looks like the previous owner tried to take it out with a hammer from how many pieces I pulled out. Now I just have to find the right replacement for it

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_185625_264.jpg
    IMG_20200608_185625_264.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 116

Back