New Member - 1997 Mercury Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member - 1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Camacorn

Reaction score
City, State
Inverness, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0 H.O.
Hello All, I've been browsing this forum for the past 5-6 months just looking at what people have done to their Rangers/Explorers/Mountys, trying to get ideas of what I'd like to do to my own.

First I guess I'll throw in a little story as to how I purchased her :p

I bought a 1993 Ford F150 Flareside with the 5.8 351W back in February for $1,600 and restored her from top to bottom, and ended up selling it a few months later because I didn't need a vehicle at the time and wanted to see someone get use out of her. About a week afterwards I ended up striking a good job about an hour away and needed a vehicle, and a friend of mine had recently introduced me to some cool neighbors I didn't know I had. I went over to their house to meet them and noticed an Explorer sitting in the corner of their yard, only it wasn't just an Explorer, it was a Mountaineer ( that at the time I didn't know existed. ) with a whopping 5.0 302 High Output with 155,000 miles. Has working AC, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Tow Package, all new tires, and a properly wired aftermarket stereo system. I talked to them for about 5 minutes and asked about it, told them I wanted to buy it, they said "I won't take less than $700", so I literally reached in my pocket and handed it to him, signed the Title, and drove her home.

Personally I had never seen a Mountaineer before, I never cared for the front clip on the Explorers, but the grill of the '97 Mountaineer to be specific, in my opinion looks very nice.

Also, I haven't seen many others that have Willow Green interior :p

I don't have too much to say at this point because I haven't done much to it besides minor cosmetics, I painted some of the AC vents black, the cup holder black, and some of the door trim black to match the stereo bezel. I did however do the usual tune-up, and replaced both of the seals on the transmission as they had a small leak.

I plan to make some performance changes, lift it, fabricate a nice brush guard for the front, get a winch, and what would an Explorer be without lights ;)

Anyway, I'll try to add more later when I get the time, here are some pictures of her for now.

Ij49yfEl.jpg
jlCSSBIl.jpg

MTo3RM4l.jpg
Wx6QnOpl.jpg

holy shut that thing is clean!! very nice!!

Back