• Register Today It's free!

Pats

Neptune5211

Reaction score
City, State
Elma washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford focus
So I know this is already being discussed however I lost my key and a Safeway parking lot man I'm telling you I said they're overnight I didn't want to leave my car and by morning the local police couldn't handle that I've been there all night so she went in and told the lady that I've been there over a week that manage the store which gave me very little time to get my car out of there. Not knowing I had a chipped key I drilled out my ignition of course I can get my car to start Ford focus 2000. So I had to have it towed I want to know can I just remove the security box in via it's going to work or can I loop some of the lines together like the lines to the fuel pump the lines to the starter the lines to the ignition?

Welcome to the forum!

You should contact a moderator and ask to have your topic moved to a more appropriate forum as it would get more visibility than here. New member introductions is not for solving vehicle problems.

However, no, you cannot remove a box or rewire around it. It is programmed into your ECM, engine control module and the only way to be rid of PATS is have a tuner reprogram the firmware on the ECM. Well in theory if the same engine existed pre-PATS, an older ECM might work but there may be sensor or wiring incompatibilities so not a simple thing to do.

What you need to do now is plan ahead better, make sure you always have TWO keys so if you lose one, you have a spare. Better still to have 3 keys so if you lose one, you have two spares which allows reprogramming a 3rd key by the method in the owner's manual. The owner's manual method requires at least two working keys but no other hardware like scan tool, just a sequence to follow and a 3rd new key you wish to program in.

Now, today, if you have NO working keys, your lowest cost, good option is going to be a mobile locksmith, having him/her determine the factory key cut to make, based on one of your other doors or trunk since you drilled the ignition out, then program the new key into the ECM. Since you can't drive the vehicle, try to find a mobile locksmith but be sure to mention what I wrote above, that the job requires using an existing lock cylinder to cut a matching key to all cylinders, as well as new ignition cylinder and the reprogramming.

You might save some money if you pull the door or trunk lock cylinder yourself and reinstall it yourself after the locksmith finishes their work, instead of paying for both of these things too. Maybe a *good* locksmith can figure out the key cut to make without pulling the cylinder. I don't know as I am not "a good locksmith" but I could figure it out with the cylinder pulled.

The programing you can DIY if you have Forscan with an Extended License and an OBD2 dongle along with a host (tablet, phone or laptop) running windows, or you can just pay the locksmith to make you two keys then DIY program in a third key as they are probably only $15 or so on amazon or ebay, then if the normal ford cut for the era, a couple bucks to have cut at a hardware store once you have a working key to use to do that.

Back