Police Interceptor Radio

cmadsen1518

Reaction score
City, State
Sartell, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Police Explorer
Hey All
I am looking at buying a 2021 Police Utility Explorer and trying to figure out if I can swap the radio out with Sync or add a aftermarket radio?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey All
I am looking at buying a 2021 Police Utility Explorer and trying to figure out if I can swap the radio out with Sync or add a aftermarket radio?

I do know that the PIU radio is unique to the PIU and not used elsewhere in the Explorer lineup. This came to light back in the Spring when the Tier 1 supplier of the radios could not produce them any more so Chicago Assembly had to scramble to try and get something to replace it. My info from the Plant was they couldn't get anything so they had to wait months until the supplier was back online. I have never heard of any aftermarket radios for the PIU. The PIU also has a analog Rear View Camera thats why its not affected by the recall on the digital RVC found in the other Explorers and Lincolns.

Did you ever find anything aftermarket that will work? I'm in the same boat, my new PIU was issued last week and I can't stand the radio.

Did you ever find anything aftermarket that will work? I'm in the same boat, my new PIU was issued last week and I can't stand the radio.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hey All
I have 2021 police too, to install the radio you need a sync 3 module, and the harness doesn't work, so either you go for a separate aftermarket radio or wait for them to find a conversion harness!

I have 2021 police too, to install the radio you need a sync 3 module, and the harness doesn't work, so either you go for a separate aftermarket radio or wait for them to find a conversion harness!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back